http://www.techcentralstation.com/110504H.html

Freedom and Morality: A Response to the Prof

By Jude Blanchette  Published   11/05/2004

For the past fifty years or so, the standard conservative argument against
libertarianism has been this: it is a nihilistic, hedonistic philosophy that
supposedly holds everyman as an island, free to pursue all sorts of deviant
behavior so long as it's voluntary. To be "free" is to break away from the
societal shackles of morality, tradition, and God. Libertarians,
conservatives say, are naïve -- they believe man is inherently good, and
therefore, no restraints on humanity are needed.

And so as both a Catholic and a libertarian, I admit that I'm not surprised
by Prof. Bainbridge's recent TCS article, Law and Morality in America. It
contains the same caricature of the libertarian philosophy that many
conservatives have proffered over the last few decades. And like most of
these "critiques," it contains only a germ of truth. There is not enough
space here for a detailed rebuttal, but I would like to challenge several
points:

No doubt there exist libertarians who endorse the above sketch of
libertarianism. Just as there are conservatives who are pro-choice and
pro-drug legalization; doctrinal differences exist within any group of
free-thinking individuals. Yet most libertarians I have contact with hold a
deep reverence for what Russell Kirk called "the permanent things," as well
as a pronounced faith in God. In this sense, there are many similarities
between libertarians and conservatives. The difference is that
libertarianism resides only in the realm of political philosophy: it holds
that the individual should remain at liberty to pursue his subjectively
defined goals with as little government coercion as possible.  Notice this
does not mean that he is free to do anything he pleases. Society does and
should exert pressures on the individual to conform to a moral and cultural
code.

Prof. Bainbridge accuses libertarians of holding a "radical individual
autonomy." Again, this is a very old and specious critique of
libertarianism. Many libertarians do refer to themselves as
"individualists," I think in part because they assumed their readers would
have the imagination to understand what it was they meant. The term was
fostered and used during a time when citizens had no individual worth and
were prized only inasmuch as they satisfied the goals of the State.
"Individualists" are not hermits, but men and women who refuse to be lumped
together into a government-sanctioned collective. Societies, communities,
neighborhoods and families thrive when free from government compulsion. To
grant a political degree of autonomy is to allow the individual to expand
his or her social relations.

I would imagine that Prof. Bainbridge accepts there should be limits to the
government's ability to legislate morality. Does he believe a man should be
jailed for having, ceterus paribus, an extra-marital affair? Probably not,
and the reason isn't because he endorses this immoral behavior; rather he
understands that these are matters for which government involvement is
unwise and, indeed, unwarranted. The libertarian would agree and go a step
farther: the government should refrain from legislating morality, not
because an objective morality doesn't exist, but because morality thrives in
a free society. Furthermore, my Catholicism (and in that sense, my moral
underpinning) is ultimately a relationship between myself and God. The
foundation for good governance is not the extent to which it makes the
American public conform to the belief system of certain elected officials,
but its ability to allow citizens to peacefully and freely pursue their
goals. The government intervenes, not when citizens are immoral per se, but
when they violate the peaceful actions of others.

Prof. Bainbridge writes: "Most libertarians refuse to accept the proposition
that law can and should be based on moral principles derived from natural
law." Again, there are libertarians (the contractarians, for example) who
deny the legitimacy of natural rights as a basis for constitutional
government, but there are just as many who find the only role for a
government is to protect our property rights which stem from the natural
law. In this sense, libertarians agree that a government is to enforce
certain moral codes (thou shall not kill), but not that it should enforce
all moral codes. Beyond the protection of property rights, government
endangers the free society that allows morality to thrive.

I would agree with Prof. Bainbridge's point that most Americans disagree
with libertarians over the issue of morality. However, this is not because
libertarians, in general, hold an alternative set of beliefs about what is
right and what is wrong. Instead, what separates libertarians is their
understanding of the nature and function of a government. By granting
extensive powers to a government we happen to agree with to enforce a given
moral code, we also give these powers to a government in the future that we
may not like.

I welcome a healthy dialogue over the principles of libertarianism, but for
too long, conservative critics have reissued the same arguments, apparently
not bothering to read the countless responses by libertarians.

The author is Research Fellow, Foundation for Economic Education

--
Jay P Hailey ~Meow!~
MSNIM - jayphailey ;

10172) KJAY FM 42: Where a penny saved is ridiculous!