Good morning, Bill!

[WARNING: A very off-topic discussion follows!

Bill Anderson wrote:

> Depends on your mail client. Evolution, for example, lets me see the
> fortune in my message as I type it, but to get a new one does take a few
> extra steps. Given the size and *ahem* variety of my quotesdb, that's a
> good thing sometimes. >:^) And tonight I realized that I forgot to
> import my fortune scripts into this laptop's install of Evolution. That
> oversight has now been corrected. :) Now, if I remember for the laptop I
> am currently installing Gentoo on, I'll feel even better. ;)

Hehehe. Here's how to automate it.

Create a file in your home directory called ding that contains the
following, substituting your own name for mine, of course. ;-)

#!/bin/sh
# sig file changer
# run from cron every 5 min
#
echo "Dave" > /home/dlaird/.signature
echo "-- " >> /home/dlaird/.signature
echo "Dave Laird ([EMAIL PROTECTED])" >> /home/dlaird/.signature
echo "The Used Kharma Lot"   >> /home/dlaird/.signature
echo "Web Page:   http://www.kharma.net updated 11/24/2004"
>>/home/dlaird/.signature
echo "Usenet news server : news://news.kharma.net"; >>/home/dlaird/.signature
echo "                                           " >>/home/dlaird/.signature
echo " Fortune Random Thought For the Minute    " >> /home/dlaird/.signature
/usr/games/fortune -s >> /home/dlaird/.signature

Then run ding from your root crontab thus:

3,9,15,27,33,39,45,51,57 *  * * * /home/dlaird/ding > /dev/null

then tell Evolution (or any other news/mail reader) to use your signature
file in your home directory called .signature. If your mailer has trouble
with the name .signature, change it to a .txt file, such as signature.txt
in your ding script. Then file a two part disclaimer so that people will
not get irate when they read the random fortune. 8-)

> I particularly enjoy the synchronicity that happens when a selected
> quote seems to reflect some aspect of the email/post it is found in. :)

What is scary is, despite the fact the fortune is selected entirely at
random, some of the time I'd swear it's reading my mail to see what I've
written so the fortune matches. All disclaimers for the current fortune
apply. ;-)

> Not likely. We've been waiting for Outlook to "change" for years.
> muahahahahaha

If you have access to a Linux boxen of any kind and use Windoze to answer
e-mail/news, you can always turn on Samba and put signature.txt as your
default signature in Outlook and Outlook Express. It just won't change the
signature until *after* you log off.

We now return control of Liberty Northwest to the libertarians...

Dave
--
Dave Laird ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
The Used Kharma Lot
Web Page:   http://www.kharma.net updated 11/24/2004
Usenet news server : news://news.kharma.net

 Fortune Random Thought For the Minute
Schapiro's Explanation:
        The grass is always greener on the other side -- but that's
        because they use more manure.