Good evening again, Robert!

Robert Goodman wrote to Bill Anderson...

> I think a fuller elucidation would be instructive here, as it illustrates
> the intertwining of religious-cultural, secular-cultural, and political
> trends in British North America.  The term "Great Awakening" refers to two
> American religious trends and periods, although maybe I'm conflating the
> name of the earlier with the later one, which may have been called the
> Reawakening or New Awakening or something like that; however, the two are
> connected.

One thing that is obviously left out of a lot of history is the
over emphasis upon Calvinism on various parts of the early
colonial period. Much of that was, as already stated, isolated in
what is now the New England States, Massachusetts.  Other
colonies did embrace other religious dogmas with a lot more
tolerance, such as Pennsylvania and even in the Carolinas.  New
York's origin was first from the Netherlands, which was at that
time a strict Calvinist society.

Johnathan Edwards was a strict hyper Calvinist.  It is admittedly
true that the early strict Calvinist tradition shunned Christmas,
as Calvinism shunned just about every other long-time held church
tradition unless it was clearly prescribed from Biblical text.

The reason I bring this up is because there are at least two
major religious dogmas that were also present, although as in New
England, the Calvinists seemed to find a way to largely suppress
their influence in colonial America, and Bill Anderson attempted
to do the same thing for about 80 years or so after the American
Revolution. Lutherans began migrating into America during the
colonial period, and Lutheran tradition differs markedly from the
Calvinists. They first settled in the middle colonies, but after
the revolution they tended to drift into the U.S. mid-West,
particularly Minnesota, the Dakotas, Missouri and elsewhere prior
to statehood.  In fact, both currently Washington and Idaho have
a giant Lutheran presence even in very small communities that
predated statehood.

The other major dogma that had a commanding, although
orchestratedly restricted presence in America is obviously the
Roman Catholic Church. The RC came into north America largely at
first through the French and Spanish colonial acquisitions.

The reason I mention both of these large groups is because they
largely kept a very low profile.  I am not sure if that was at
first due to the predominance of strict Calvinism in the halls of
power, or more likely perhaps to maintain a cultural identity
being swallowed up by a predominately British presence that was a
mixture between radical Calvinism and the more pragmatic Anglican
tradition. However, and this still holds today, the two largest
Christian groups in America today that still maintain their own
schools are the Roman Catholics and Lutherans.

Of the Lutheran groups, the Missouri Synod is the second largest
private school network outside of the Roman Catholic Church in
America today.

For a long time, the Dutch Reformed Churches in America taught
english in their schools, but conducted their worship services in
Dutch. The Lutherans also in some cases followed the same course,
and German was customarily the language in many Missouri Synod
churches up until the early 1940s with the rise of the Third
Reich in Germany, and a shifting of language in worship was
markedly toward english, probably to show that the Lutherans were
not sympathetic, or couldn't be trusted, as anti-American at a
time when America were going to war.

Those around here in my age group remember certainly in 1960 when
John F. Kennedy's opponents raised the spectre that Kennedy was a
Roman Catholic, and obviously might have higher allegiances other
than the US Constitution in mind.

The reason I am writing this is we've come a long way in the
space of only a few short decades of time.  We seem to believe
that the Puritanical Calvinist tradition is all that early
America had.  That was never the case at all, particularly after
the American Revolution when Anglicans weren't trusted, because
they were a pro-British institution, and strict Calvinism in
America was in sharp decline.

Certainly Christmas was enthusiastically celebrated by both Roman
Catholic and Lutheran communities throughout the colonies,
although this fact is largely ignored by dwelling upon the
prevailing Calvinism that held a demanding presence in various
territories at least until around the early period of the 18th
century.

As we move smartly along into the early 21st century, maybe we
need to take another look at America's early roots.  Fact is, a
lot of America's religious roots have been largely ignored, and
part of that fact stems from influences at the time that seems to
stress the strict Calvinism of that early period, but only in
terms of a few territories.  As I just mentioned, some of that
same sentiment was still present in American politics as late as
the 1960s and beyond certainly.  Maybe even today.

Contrary to what Bill wrote earlier, I have to disagree that
Christmas was largely shunned or even forbidden in practice in
America during both the colonial period and in the time after
independence.  Christmas was energetically celebrated I am sure
by Roman Catholic and Lutheran communities in America, many of
which spoke different languages other than english. Some were in
German, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Spanish, French, and in many
of such cases, these cultural norms even found their expression
in their own parochial schools, their worship services, and their
way of everyday life.  I seriously doubt very much in
pre-independence times, that the Anglicans had any aversion to
Christmas either, judging from church history in England during
this time period, I seriously doubt it.

You know what?  I'm not so sure American history is really all
that bad when people have such choices to make and voluntarily
choose to make them without hindrance by government.  America has
always been a pluralistic society -- nothing has changed a great
deal today either, except perhaps a few other cultures and
religious groups maybe present today than were here decades
earlier.

Even the radical hyper Calvinists were eventually displaced in
Massachusetts by the absorption of Roman Catholic Irish pouring
in and eventually upsetting both the religious and political
landscape of the State!  The City of New York is probably a
tremendous example of a displacement and radical change from what
began as a Calvinist Dutch outpost to a major melting pot of
cultural and religious diversity today.

So, we can be sure that the 21st century will bring tremendous
challenges to liberty in America.  Where will the 'voice of
liberty' come from unless we continue to do the best we can and
strongly suggest that everyone, regardless of religious
persuasion, cultural orientation, or skin color, ought to be free
and have ownership over themselves, their families and their
private property!

In my judgement anyway, that is our challenge in the 21st Century
in America.  I hope we are capable of rising to the occasion and
not surrendering anything in terms of our fundamental rights of
self-ownership, and hopefully suggest there is a better way than
tyranny... a self governing of ourselves without coercion or
threat.

Maybe we need to learn something from our past too!  Maybe
voluntary associations, such as the Dutch, German, Swedish,
Norwegians, and others made in the education of their own
children, and their culture, wasn't really so terribly bad after
all!  Maybe in fact, that ought to still be our message today in
the 21st Century as we move into another year!

Seasons greetings everyone!  Happy New Year!

Frank