Good evening, Steve!

Steven Thompson wrote to Lowell C. Savage...

> With the use of the Internet, future generations will obtain a better
> understanding of other peoples and cultures. We will work together without
> prejudice or religious conflict.

I would absolutely love to embrace this concept of the Internet
and the increasing level of sophistication in telecommunications
bringing the world closer together, but I must confess, I view
that as a little bit utopian.

Such technology, as we have seen countless times, is often used
to divide and conquer.  The 9/11 hijackers used this technology
frequently not only to plan their attacks, but their parent
organizations used it, and use it still, to raise money and fund
other world-wide operations against western, and primarily US
interests at home and abroad.

Even the beheadings of Americans caught in the clasp of terrorist
use such technology, in cohoots with islamic media sites, to air
the beheadings of their hostages worldwide.

The internet is not some benevolent mechanism designed to bring
all the earth together in peace and harmony.  It is simply
technology that can be used in various ways at the behest of the
user, either for abuse, or perhaps profit, or for whatever
intended reason the user has in mind.

Technology often has wonderful benefits to all mankind.  Atomic
energy can heat and light homes and provide a power source to run
factories and create products and jobs.  It can also be used to
kill and destroy the human race in a global nuclear war.

I find it also questionable that the Internet and
telecommunication advances will accomplish bringing the human
race together, discounting such things as culture and religion.
Although it is true that Indian and Pakistanis learn western and
US culture, language, and procedures to gain employment in
outsourced customer-relations jobs for large US corporate
interests, this is a far cry from suggesting that these employees
are embracing such a cultural orientation -- simply put, they
want a better paying job, and must learn the skills for getting
the job.

Going back to pre-9/11 days, the hijackers and their
organizational support groups certainly did much the same things
as the Indians and Pakistanis learning western culture to get
good paying jobs.  They learned how to better articulate their
english language skills, America's cultural mannerisms, and so
forth, and even fit right into large US communities and
apparently didn't draw any attention to themselves.

At the same time that this is certainly true, it is also true
they were here to destroy this culture, religion and all the
capitalistic and materialistic orientation that they had to learn
to pull of the hijackings in the first place!

I appreciate your optimism in technology doing all these
wonderful things, but I believe you leave out a lot here in your
assessment, in particular the human propensity for greed, hate,
or better put, the dark side of the human species.  You can call
that original sin, innate evil, or whatever you wish.  Human
history if full of such idealism of bringing everyone under the
same tent.  Previous civilizations have idealized this and
thereby justified their territorial expansion.  Ancient empires
came close at times to realizing at least some of that, such as
the Greek and Roman empires; but even the British Empire, in its
heyday, came close in a lot of respects to bringing
standardization to world commerce and left a legacy, often a good
one, on legal systems throughout the empire.

> As ruthless dictators fall, capitalism is
> sure to spread.

Why?  How does that follow?  It can also be said, and
historically justified in many cases, that when one dictator
falls, another one or two rise to fill their space.  Capitalism,
in and of itself has been around for hundreds of years.  The
above British Empire was probably the pre-Communist era's best
vehicle for promoting capitalism on a world-wide scale.  As the
British Empire was collapsing, capitalism was mostly replaced
throughout the former empire to a hoard of dictators throughout
Africa particularly, but certainly also in the Middle East as
both France and Britain withdrew.  In the British case at least,
some good examples did emerge, such as Democracy in India,
Malaysia, Singapore, but even in that region, Burma was the arch
typical example of expelling both capitalism and Democracy.  So
it's a mixed bag to suggest that capitalism can bring any such
thing as free societies throughout the planet with everyone
finding a way to get along with everyone else.

> Through capitalism one will hope that prior tensions between
> all peoples will diminish.

Historically, that has never proven to be true on a global scale,
or even close to that.

Again, I wish I could be proven wrong, but I have a strong
inclination that human greed, corruption and increasingly the
widening scope of world government will put a huge damper on any
possibility of easing tensions on such a scale as you suggest.

Hope I'm wrong.

Kindest regards,
Frank