Good evening again, Robert!

The earlier draft went out moments ago by mistake, before I was ready
to send this. So let me close up a couple of lose ends toward the
bottom of this message, otherwise, it is going out the second time,
pretty close as it did a moment ago...

Robert Goodman wrote to Frank Reichert...

I previously wrote:
> >Lutherans began migrating into America during the
> >colonial period,

To which, you replied as follows:
> But they were not evenly spread thru the colonies.  Mostly these were
> Germans who tended to wind up in Penna., Del., & NJ, and somewhat in NY,
> including Lutherans & Mennonites.  The Lutherans were quite Christmasy; I
> really don't know about Mennonites w.r.t. Christmas, and it's important to
> distinguish Amish from the rest of the Mennonites, so maybe someone can
> fill us in there.  I also don't know how Christmasy the Quakers were.

I doubt if most orthodox Lutherans would appreciate the association
with Mennonites, which by the way, comprise a significant percentage
of Boundary Country, Idaho.  Indeed, both groups do.

> But the main point that Bill was making is that Christmas was very far from
> a universally practiced holiday among Christians in British North America,
> and many localities were practically Christmas-free for quite a while

I suspect this might be another exercise in mouse milking, since the
British, although certainly in control over government as such, did
not make up everything that was then British North America!  A heavily
Roman Catholic French population existed in Quebec, as well as
throughout the Louisiana Territory which the French controlled.

After independence, there were large segments of Catholic, and a
lesser degree in terms of percentage of Lutheran Christians living in
America at the time.  Some of what I wrote the first time, didn't make
it into your reply of course, but that included references to the
strong hyper-Calvinist traditions of New England, to which you refer
below, as well as some rather unorthodox free-wheeling movements that
defy Christian tradition nevertheless.

Maybe a better question might be asked concerning whether or not what
resulted prior to independence in terms of government control in
places such as New England, really could be considered as the overall
American population base, specifically since Catholics weren't
recognized by the powers that be until probably 1960 (forgive me here,
but I know there are certain exceptions to that), and Lutherans really
didn't find a way to become Americanized until around the time of the
second World War!

As I wrote before, I could also add to all of this the 'other' groups
of major Christian sects, such as the Dutch Calvinists, who largely
until even much later, the early 1960s, didn't really find it
necessary to join the ecumenical exercise of unionizing with the
mainstream American variant of Christianity.  I call it that, because
historically there isn't much else to call it than a rather strange
variant upon Christian history.  Again, as I wrote earlier, most of
these groups were largely segmented by nationality, including a
healthy investment in parochial education for keeping cultural norms
in place opposed to the nationalistic norms of the rising public
(government controlled) education system we find today.

There was, after independence, a huge immigration of Dutch, German,
and Scandinavian groups that come into America and migrated for the
most part toward what was then the Northwest, not certainly the
'northwest of America today, but the territories of what is
essentially the mid-West of America.  A lot of that can be seen in
western States as well, primarily Idaho, Montana, and Washington.

I haven't even got into this yet, because I less understand it. But
there are tremendous blocks in the eastern US upon which the
nationalities support the eastern Orthodox variants of Christianity.
Certainly, Christmas plays a giant role in the Christian calendar for
this segment as well.

I'm going to stagger into this one slowly, only because you touched on
it so briefly...

> especially New England before the revolution, and the southeast for decades
> after 1800.

What this means, I don't honestly know.

I believe the original thread here suggested something on the order of
what was acceptable in America insofar as a strong hyper-Calvinism,
originated largely from dissatisfaction with British origin migrated
to America and established blocks of religious theocratic control.
New England was certainly the centre of that, but I doubt anyone can
suggest that once British control was established, that was the norm
throughout the Colonies.  All I am suggesting is that it didn't really
go much further than New England.  In the meantime, a lot of groups
got sucked into this idea that it might be simply better just to do
your own thing, such as the Catholics, Lutherans and others that just
decided to do their own thing and survive the revolution and go far,
far beyond all that that entailed.

You'll have to admit, that was largely done on their own dime. Such
groups educated their children, believed and passed on such belief
systems to their children, and the result of that is largely,
historically speaking, part and parcel of what real America is all
about even today!

At the same time, the official British government, certainly did not
despise Christmas, as the Anglican Church put it in the Church
calendar, just as the Roman Catholics had done before, as well as the
Lutherans that migrated since had imported.  Now you're stuck, or so
it seems, with defending an idea that Calvinism was REALLY the REAL
pre revolution and post revolution fashion of that time.

I strongly doubt that that ever was the case.

As I wrote above, most people simply did what their cultural
orientation assumed that they would do.  Nothing like this was ever as
I recall historically codified into law.  At least until prohibition.

Kindest regards,
Frank