Good evening again, Robert!

Robert Goodman wrote to Frank Reichert...

I previously wrote:
> >Okay. Again we are talking about New England,

To which, you replied:
> But the gov't school movement spread from there; it was almost simultaneous
> in NY.  And when I mentioned blue laws eariler in the thread, I sure wasn't
> referring to New England alone.

I understand that completely, or at least I think I do.

At least I understand that the government school system concept
originated in the very place one might least suspect it at that
time, which is why I wrote earlier it was likely a 'last ditch'
effort by a growing minority of Calvinists in New England to
codify in practice what may have already been largely watered
down.  Again, as I wrote earlier, that backfired in their face in
the decades ahead.  It is important to try and maintain the time
lines when these events occurred.

This thread began with a simple assertion on my part, that
Christmas was widely celebrated mostly throughout the late
colonial period, in most of the colonies.  And, as you might
recall, I did concede at least that some of the 'evangelicals'
and post Calvinists that were growing rapidly in various areas,
likely didn't appreciate, or at least want to see that happen,
but it had by that time, become far too late.  You got to
remember here that the colonies were really governed at that time
more strongly by England, just prior to the uprising and
revolution, but increasingly following the French and Indian war
period.

A lot of the traditional Christian groups were certainly around,
getting well entrenched as well during this period of time,
although probably not so profoundly in New England.  What do you
do with Anglicans? Anglicans have almost always followed the
traditional Church calendar in which Christmas was a tremendous
part, in fact, Advent, just prior to the Christmas season, IS the
beginning of the Church year!  Lutherans and Roman Catholics
followed that same calendar, as they still do today!

Often such groups migrated to areas in the colonies that were
more favorable and acceptable, and probably not initially in New
England, but much later on, European Catholics began migrating
into New England and changed the landscape.  In the prior history
to that happening, and as it happened, the Calvinists probably
believed the codifying into law various things might shield them
from changing the status quo.  History shows that not be what
really happened at all.

The 'Blue Laws' you seem to refer to here didn't enjoy such wide
or universal acceptance either.  Probably the greatest and most
widely impacted 'Blue Law' of all, was prohibition which occurred
much later, but the progressive movement by the evangelicals and
others of like mind, culminated into that.

It's interesting, as a Lutheran, to hear some of the stories that
took place during that latest period.  As it turned out, a lot of
Lutherans migrated to the Mid-West, as did a lot of Roman
Catholics, in places such as Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Missouri
(well, I could include North Dakota as well, since my family on
my father's side migrated there too).

At any rate, some of these stories are certainly believable, and
I have heard them corroborated over time, that I doubt such
events were very isolated at all -- in fact they were likely very
wide spread during the time of prohibition, and none of that can
be attributed to the mob, or underground organized crime
syndicates.

The stories I have heard was that in various remote Lutheran
congregations in the Mid-West, the men of the Church would meet
in the Church basement for the purpose of brewing beer!
Certainly not tremendously large quantities of beer, but since it
was illegal to buy it on the open market at that time, the 'men
of the church' ensured a steady flow of the stuff for local
consumption anyway.

Point is, 'Blue Laws' were never really most like, and in most
cases, enshrined or encouraged by orthodox Christian Churches,
and as I identified some of them tonight as being of Baptist
origin, and what followed some of the movements that you spoke of
earlier, that I went into that last night.  Sure the evangelicals
got their laws passed.  Maybe the Anglicans (now called
Episcopalians) have their own stories to tell as well.  I doubt
at THAT time that Lutherans or Episcopalians would call such
resistance "civil disobedience", but looking back retrospectly
tonight, it came pretty damn close to it, didn't it?

They disobeyed the law as it then existed. They didn't flout it
either. They just did it without the help or assistance of
organized crime syndicates.

Maybe I view what was obviously Christmas celebrations in America
different from your own perspective, that is, identifying it
often in terms of what I might call renegade sects stemming from
Christianity in America, and believe me, America was full of them
then, and even more full of them now, trying to prohibit such
things as celebrating Christmas which has for centuries been a
part of the Church callendar.

It may have been prohibited particularly in New England. But I
seriously doubt that it was certainly practiced there
nonetheless!  Such celebrations just weren't caught by the cops
and prosecuted.  You still haven't provided me any evidence at
all that Christmas was outlawed in any other region of the
colonies as they existed during the early times of English rule.

I consider the Puritan movement to be largely such a renegade
sect within the overall Calvinist movement.  And, as I wrote
before they did have some small impact at least within Calvinist
groups, even the Presbyterians, but their impact overall was
eventually displaced by more orthodox thinking.  In fact, I
believe that the trend in historically Calvinist churches such as
the Presbyterian Church in the USA, and the current Reformed
Churches, have become overall reactionary to the over stressing
of Puritan influence in America in terms of identification.  Both
groups, or so it seems, have today largely walked away from
Calvinism entirely.

Kindest regards,
Frank