"Lowell C. Savage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote an election analysis
analysis (or addendum) on LIBNW which I quote in full below for
cross-posting to LPNY_discuss.  Meanwhile I'll top post a correction to
what I'd posted earlier about factors in the 2004 Bronx Democratic primary
for civil court judge which was won by Conservative enrollee John Wilson, a
historic victory.  Seems the remark about voters thinking Wilson was black
(And Whiten white?) was just some sour grapes by a Dem operative.  The real
racial factor was that the regulars wanted to keep black turnout low to
help a Hispanic candidate in an assembly race; they succeeded by not
publicizing the primary, and in the process inadvertently and unexpectedly
torpedoed Whiten.

>Sorry, but this is a long one....A response to Chuck Muth.
>
>This is a classic case of (as Bill Anderson might say)
"single-numberitis".
>He looks at the number of votes that Dino Rossi "could have had" if it
>wasn't for Ruth Bennett.  What he misses is the potentially larger number
of
>votes that Rossi "could have lost" if he'd played to the LP vote.  The
real
>question is, if he'd moved "left" and alienated more people to the LP,
could
>Rossi have more than made up the difference with "moderates" or
>"conservative Democrats?"  Since Chuck Muth totally ignores this question,
>he doesn't "have" to answer it.  And if you want to keep living in a
fantasy
>world, you can ignore it too.  But if you are reading this, I assume it is
>because you want a realistic picture of what really happened, which means
>that you "have" to deal with it.  You might still disagree with my
analysis,
>but when you do so, you will at least do so by addressing the issue.
>
>Look at the statewide races.  (See:
>"http://vote.wa.gov/general/statewide_results.aspx?o=Pb%2f1UmP3PoX%2fDHq%2
bD
>UhS8w%3d%3d" and watch the wrap.)
>
>Only one Republican got more votes than Rossi, Rob McKenna, the new AG.
He
> [...]
>
>It should also be noted that McKenna isn't particularly conservative--not
>bad, but not great either.  He was on the King County Council (Seattle is
in
>King County)--'nuff said.
>
>Now, look at the other races.  Sec. of State Sam Reed was an incumbent,
>relatively popular, endorsed by the County Auditors of ALL Washington
>Counties.  His opponent had no experience.  Reed got 1,993 fewer votes
than
>Rossi and his LP opponent, Jacqueline Passey, got 82,097 votes--that's
>18,751 more than Ruth Bennett.  But he won because 145,096 voters who
voted
>for Governor didn't bother to vote this line--apparently hurting his Dem
>opponent.
>
>Doug Sutherland was re-elected as Commissioner of Public Lands with
>1,309,441 votes.  That's 61,973 fewer votes than Rossi.  Meanwhile his LP
>opponent topped out the LP showing against competitive Republican
candidates
>with 88,171 votes.
>
>The remaining races were won by Democrats (usually incumbents, usually
>against anyone the R's could find to throw up against them).  And, get
this,
>in the remaining races, the Dems got MORE votes than Gregoire did in races
>that all had at least 100,000 FEWER total votes cast!!!  (OK, so maybe the
>54% to 41% loss at Insurance Commissioner was "competitive"--but it also
had
>246,271 fewer total votes!!!  Almost a quarter of a million voters who
voted
>for Governor didn't bother with this line!)
>
>Rossi probably got 20,000 voters who voted for the Dem. Insurance
>Commissioner to vote for him, 200,000 voters who voted for the Dem. State
>Treasurer, almost 300,000 voters who voted for the Dem. State Auditor, and
>around 70,000 voters who voted for the Dem. Lt. Governor!  ANYTHING Rossi
>might have done to get some of those hypothetical 6,554 Bennett votes
would
>probably have cost him ten times the number of votes he got from these
other
>blocks of votes.
>
>All in all, it appears that the LP hurts Republicans not so much by
pulling
>some small-L libertarians away as by stretching the range of voters to
which
>a Republican candidate has to appeal.  A Republican candidate has to find
>way to keep libertarians in his camp while at the same time appealing to
>"moderates" who could just as easily go over to his Democrat opponent.
>Right now, it appears that the best approach for a Republican is to go
after
>those voters "in the middle" and not worry too much about the LP.
>
>Lowell C. Savage
>It's the freedom, stupid!
>Gun control: tyrants' tool, fools' folly.

Democrats
>> voted for the LP nominee because she was an "out" lesbian than
Republicans
>> who voted for the LP nominee because the LP is historically known for
its
>> limited-government bona fides.
>>
>> I don't buy that argument for a minute.
>>
>> But let's say these folks are correct.  Let's say that 99 percent of the
>> LP
>> candidate's votes came from actual Libertarians and disaffected
Democrats.
>> That would mean that 1 percent of the 63,465 votes received by the
>> Libertarian candidate came from Republican voters who weren't happy, for
>> one
>> reason or another, with the Republican Party or its gubernatorial
>> candidate.
>> That would be 634 votes.
>>
>> Again, the Republican lost by only 129 votes.
>>
>> And bet your bottom dollar there were a LOT more than 634 unhappy GOP
>> campers
>> who threw their "protest" vote to the LP candidate.  No matter how you
>> slice
>> it, the GOP's failure to "reach out" sufficiently to citizens who
support
>> limited government public policies cost them that election...despite the
>> voter fraud which apparently occurred in liberal King County.
>>
>> That being said, let's get to the Chairman Vance's rebuttal to my
initial
>> column...
>>
>> "Republicans must stop thinking of the LP as a wing of our party," Vance
>> writes to a GOP grassroots organization which had posted my column on
>> their
>> website.  "Like the Democrats, they are a party that competes with us
for
>> votes."  He adds, "My objective has not been to convince Libertarians to
>> vote
>> Republican."
>>
>> And that's Vance's problem.  There are a LOT of "small l" libertarians
in
>> his
>> GOP...whether he wants to admit it or not...and Chairman Vance wants to
>> take
>> the votes of such limited-government Republicans for granted rather than
>> compete for them.  Kinda like the way Democrats take the black vote for
>> granted.
>>
>> The big difference though, which the Chairman apparently fails to
>> recognize,
>> is that while there is no "black" party competing with the Democrats for
>> black votes, there IS a limited-government party competing for
Republican
> [...]
>> specifically at the issues Vance chooses to "emphasize":
>>
>> *  Not all Libertarians support gay marriage; however, more than a
handful
>> of
>> Vance's Republicans certainly object to a constitutional amendment
banning
>> it.
>>
>> *  There are significant numbers of pro-life Libertarians, just as there
>> are
>> significant numbers of pro-choice Republicans in Vance's tent.
>>
>> *  On the drug issue, there are large numbers of Vance's Republicans who
>> support the legal use of medical marijuana, as well as a growing number
>> who
>> view the GOP's "war on drugs" to be a complete and utter failure, not to
>> mention a serious threat to individual and constitutional liberties.
>>
>> *  And when it comes to the war on terror and Iraq, there is a large
>> segment
>> of the Libertarian Party which vigorously supports both, just as there
is
>> large segment of Vance's GOP which opposes them.
>>
>> To try to portray ALL Libertarians based on the characteristics of some
of
>> the dominant activist members is akin to describing ALL of Vance's
>> Republicans as Bible-thumping, gay-bashing Victorians.
>>
>> "One of my 2004 objectives was to file a Republican for every statewide
>> office to make it more difficult for the LP to get the 5% of the vote
they
>> needed to remain a `major party,' and we succeeded," Vance proudly
boasted
>> in
>> his rebuttal.  "As a result, for the next four years, LP candidates will
>> have
>> to collect signatures and hold nominating conventions in order to get on
>> the
>> ballot, rather than simply file as Republicans and Democrats do."
>>
>> Wow. There's something to be proud of, huh?  Rather than compete on the
>> field
>> with his opponents, Chairman Vance prefers to lock the gate in an effort
>> keep those opponents from even taking the field.
>>
>> I'm sure Chairman Vance and others consider this to be smart, hardball
>> politics, and I guess they have a point.  But to me it smacks as...well,
>> cowardly.  You can smell the fear.  The chairman's stated objective is
>> prevent competition, not beat it.  And while he may have won a
short-term
>> victory by locking the gate and forcing the LP to climb the fence to get
>> on
>> the field next season, Vance is setting himself and the GOP up for long-
>> term
>> problems for years to come.
>>
>> "The job of WSRP Chairman is to get Republicans elected, not help the LP
>> compete with us," Vance concludes.
>>
>> Well, in that case, the Chairman was, as former Senate Minority Leader
Tom
>> Daschle would put it, a "miserable failure."  His ill-considered
approach
>> the LP cost his party, at the very least, the Washington governor's
>> office.
>> So much for getting Republicans elected.
>>
>> In addition, Vance has given LP'ers grist for the political mill for
years
>> come.  If you've ever played serious team sports, you know that coaches
>> routinely post news stories in the locker room which highlight
derogatory
>> quotes by opponents in order to "fire up" their own players.  "Coach"
>> Vance
>> has handed a library of such motivational quotes to his Libertarian
Party