http://www.ncc-1776.com/tle2005/tle311-20050320-04.html

Stephen King is a Felon
by Francis A Ney, Jr.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Exclusive to TLE

I wonder what would happen if Stephen King decided to have a book-signing in
Lexington, Kentucky this weekend?

If the events of two weeks ago are any indication, he would be arrested,
handcuffed, fingerprinted and thrown in jail, charged with felonious
possession of terrorist material. That's what happened to 18 year old
William Poole, a high-school junior. Apparently, the Kentucky legislature
has made it a crime to write or possess any material involving "violence
directed at a public institution" which makes the works of Stephen King, Tom
Clancy (among others) and even the Bible, illegal.

Leaving aside the horrendous detail that this kid was turned in to the
authorities by his own grandparents, this law and the enforcement of it has
got to be one of the most egregious examples of zero-tolerance/zero-thought
and crimethink to date. Quintupling the bail only serves notice that the
prosecuting authorities, as well as the judge, haven't seen the First
Amendment since law school and were likely out sick when the subject was
covered. Nor was it covered in whatever POST curriculum the arresting
officers received, if any.

Color me shocked, but not surprised. In an environment where a student can
be expelled for drawing a picture of a family member in military uniform
holding a (gasp) gun, a first-grader can be expelled as a drug pusher for
gathering up weeds and dirt, and a citizen can be placed on the no-fly list
merely for telling the feds parading down Main Street they're buck-ass
naked, sending in the Gestapo to arrest someone writing generic horror
fiction is the next logical step in enforcing tyranny and suppressing
freedom of expression. You don't even have to be in school anymore, as
Minitruth-oops, I mean Homeland Security-has successfully recruited your own
family to turn you in for writing bad fiction. And if you don't have fame,
money, and a bunch of lawyers ready to fight for your rights, you'll end up
in jail with a felony record that makes you a second class citizen forever:
No ballot, no firearms, and no college scholarships.

Heck, most public school students don't even know what Minitruth was, as the
seminal works of George Orwell are not only not taught, but have been
removed from the school libraries as subversive literature. Students even
tell pollsters that the First Amendment goes too far and that journalists
should be licensed and inspected by the government. Do civics classes even
exist in the kiddie indoctrination camps these days?

But the most disturbing thing I have seen in relationship to this case are
the things I have not seen. There has been no outcry from the sources I
would otherwise expect to be all over this like ugly on a gorilla. Nothing
from the ACLU, nothing from FIRE, nothing from IJ, not a word from even the
Libertarian Party. Maybe it's because the police now claim that William
Poole was planning to start a "nationwide gang" and are using his notes and
stories to prove it. Sounds like the vilification of the Branch Davidians
during the 51 days prior to the witch burning, but on a smaller scale.

Does Stephen King even have the stones to go to Lexington and dare the cops
to arrest him? Does he even care enough to show a modicum of support to a
fellow author who doesn't enjoy the protections he receives? Or is he going
to do the smart and safe thing and stay out of Kentucky?

--
Jay P Hailey ~Meow!~
MSNIM - jayphailey ;

"That parrot is definitely deceased"