Travis Pahl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in part:

>Other countries do not need to repeal their trade barriers for the US
>to practice free trade.

But you keep writing as if you were in charge!

No.  I am writing as if I was speaking my mind and telling you my opinion.

Sorry, but YOU do not get
to dictate USA trade practices.  For the US to practice free trade, you
need Congress's assent.  However, Congress was able to come up with a
compromise that they DID agree to.

Congress ignored the constitution and established an internation governemnt that is even more removed than the federal government.  On top of that they diffused any push to go to more free trade.  I do not think that all of those negatives are outweighed by the positive that some tarriff were reduced.

>> These international
>> agreements are a way of getting them to do some of what you want.

>Getting foriegn governments to do what we want is not really my
>biggest concern.  What I want is for our government to stop
>restricting my trade.

BTW, by 2009, all tariffs with Canada & Mexico will have been phased out
via NAFTA.  The phased implementation is 2/3 of the way finished.

BTW how many exceptions will be left?  How many subsidies still exist in the US?  When is congress going to start following the constitution?  How will we get control of the people that decide the exceptions?

>> Explain to me how being allowed to import or export something that you
>> weren't allowed to import or export before, or diminishing a tax on
>> importation of a good, is not an increase in freedom.

>Because it reinforces the idea that the constitution (which is the
>guiding document that limits government from infringing on our
>freedoms)

It and the state constitutions are also the guiding documents that PERMIT
or even REQUIRE gov't infringements on freedoms.

That is true, that is what government does.  But the point is libertarians support a LIMITED government.  That means we support a constitution that LIMITS the amount of govt infringements.  You are suggestion that we should supporting ignoring those LIMITS.

> is nothing to be concerned with.  Also it creates an
>international government that has power over us as well.

NO!!  It creates an international body that limits the powers of signatory
governments w.r.t. trade restrictions.  WTO etc. have NO power over
individuals or corporations.

the body is essentially a government.  it limits what individuals and corps can do.

> The further
>a government is from the local level the more likely they will
>infringe on our freedoms.

That's a dubious generaliz'n.

It is a true generalization and also a common libertarian arguement.  why don;t you survey all the libertarian think tanks and see what they have to say about levels of government.

>>  If anoth>er
>> country could somehow repeal some of this country's oppressive laws, and
>> vice versa, I'd sure go for that.

>And most libertarians would not.

How do you know?

I have spoke/written/read alot of different libertarians over the years.

Travis

In Your Sly Tribe,
Robert