Frank Reichert wrote:

I'd rather quote from a different part of Paul's column.

"I believe our founding fathers had it right when they argued for peace and
commerce between nations, and against entangling political and military
alliances.  In other words, noninterventionism." Noninterventionism is not
isolationism.  Nonintervention simply means America does not interfere
militarily, financially, or covertly in the internal affairs of other nations."

As with so many other things, Ron Paul is wrong. There is nothing in what
Washington or Jefferson said or did that rules out intervening in another
country, let alone the straightforward matter of going to war against another
country. One can intervene without entangling alliances. One can have alliances
without intervening.

Paul is also wrong about the concept that discarding Washington's foreign
policy beliefs, stated in, IIRC, his farewell address, is the equivalent of
discarding elements of the Bill of Rights. Washington's foreign policy
prescriptions - not shared at the time, as the Monroe Doctrine (OK, that was a
few years after Washington, but still part of that era) is clearly an
interventionist doctrine - are not enshrined in either the Declaration of
Independence or the Constitution, unlike the Bill of Rights. If he can't
understand that difference, then he really is as stupid as I think he is.

Doug