On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Alexander Thurgood
<alex.thurg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 26/08/2014 21:01, Robinson Tryon a écrit :
>> Are you suggesting that OS X/QuickTime
>> 10.3 is doing on-the-fly transcoding of some content?
>
> Yes, it transcodes files on the fly for the formats and codecs that were
> previously supported in QT 7.

Hmmm, interesting. So is QuickTime 10.next going to drop support completely, or?

>> So Perian still might be an option for some users? That's actually
>> very useful. If Perian is indeed still compatible with modern builds
>> of OS X, then that might be our best option to promote for audio/video
>> playback inside LO. Have you tested that at all?
>
> No, I've not tested Perian since OSX 10.4

Ok. The posts on the Perian mailing list suggest that 10.9 is a no-go:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/perian-discuss/IJk8uZ5sQRY

On Oct 27, 2013, at 11:20 AM, Augie Fackler <r...@durin42.com> wrote:
> The direction the media frameworks has been going makes it next
> to impossible for us to do anything, and it feels like a very
> poor use of our volunteer programming time.

Here are some technical specifics:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/perian-discuss/ZJgkMEhKhPc

Graham Booker wrote:
> To be clear: The issues people are having with the newer OS
> versions is due to components contained it the OS no longer
> using the QuickTime library as a first-class citizen.
> QuickTime Player 7 and NicePlayer still use the QuickTime
> library as a first-class citizen so playback works there the
> same as it did on previous OSs.  QuickTime Player X and now
> QuickLook do not.  It appears Apple is phasing out QuickTime in
> favor of the new framework which plays a smaller set of
> formats.

> My tests with master 4.4.0 were with my own build on which I used the
> --enable-vlc switch, and I am assuming it is this that allowed me to
> have some form of success with those containers. I am waiting for a new
> build to complete that no longer uses that switch to see whether Michael
> Meeks' comments on my bug issue alter the results of my tests.

Ah yes, I now understand :-)

Compiling with the --enable-vlc switch disabled is our default
behavior in TDF builds, so we should definitely be testing with that
off when trying to diagnose media playback. At least for now.

The future of audio/video playback on OS X looks pretty grim right
now. If Apple demotes the QuickTime framework in 10.9 and does not
mention a path forward for future OS revisions, then we should
definitely make plans to find an alternative for multimedia playback.

Multiple developers have spoken about problems with our attempts at
VLC integration, but VLC or FFmpeg/LibAV sound like our best options
going forward.

Cheers,
--R

--