Le 26/05/2012 11:31, Stefan Knorr (Astron) a écrit :

Right, so I've looked around a bit on the internets/in LibreOffice:
* I found one page that claimed Overwrite mode had no practical use
today, I didn't find any that listed any uses of it.
* The only use case I can imagine is filling out order forms that are
comprised of ASCII text only (with "...." as placeholders) – it's safe
to say that no one does that any more since PDF's are reasonably easy
to generate.
* I've found enough pages that describe how utterly
confusing/frustrating Overwrite mode is to many people, due to it
being so easy to trigger

* In Word 2007+ you need to enable the Ins key in the options before
you can use it
* Thunderbird/Firefox/Evolution/Google Docs/Apple Pages don't have any
Overwrite mode at all
* Gedit still has it (and it's turned on/off with Ins)

* Shift-Ins currently does the same as Ctrl-V (paste) – so that
particular accelerator won't work, but Ctrl-Ins isn't taken yet
* As always, accelerators are configurable, so if anyone really needs
Ins, they can just set it up this way
* I noticed that unlike with the Selection modes there's no menu item
for Overwrite mode... which is bad, because it also means that people
won't notice when we've changed the accelerator.

Agreed with all of this. Overwrite mode is mostly a thing of the past. When people inadvertently press the Insert key, they feel rather annoyed.

Conclusion:
* I personally wouldn't mind seeing Overwrote mode go entirely,

+1

* If we want to keep Overwrite mode alive, but without a status bar indicator:
##1 do it like MSO does it – add a preference that's turned off by default
##2 add a menu item "Overwrite mode" to the "Edit" menu, which would
obviously mostly serve to advertise our new accelerator
** Mirek's proposal of a red caret seems very good to me if we go with
either of the above two ways (but a red block would be even more
descriptive methinks)

Dunno about the red thing wrt visually impaired people, but, at least, having a block caret is a good idea.

--
Jean-Francois Nifenecker, Bordeaux