Hi
pierre-yves.samyn skrev 2012-11-28 14:33:

    > why a style (Heading) that isn't directly used in the
    > document needs to be added to the list of applied styles because
    another
    > style (Heading 1) is used in the document.

    I see at least 2 cases...

    1. For example, if you want to increase proportionally the size of
    the styles
    Heading 1 and Heading 2, you can edit "Heading".
    Still need to know that these styles depend on that.
    The legacy would be less obvious with custom styles if you do not
    display
    this information.

I would recommend using hierarchal view of the Styles and Formatting dialog for knowing which style is based on what. I don't really consider Heading showing up when using one of the Heading X styles as obvious, at best I'd call it a hint.

    2. A paragraph style ("Test" for instance) is defined with a
    numbering style
    ("List 3" for instance). Currently "Applied styles" shows "List 3"
    as used,
    even if  the paragraph style "Test" is not used. It does not seem
    to be any
    other way of knowing, except of course browse through all
    paragraph styles

Sorry I got snowed in on Paragraph styles and what shows up in the "Apply Style" combo box in the Formatting toolbar, which seems to add all applied paragraph styles. You make a good case for leaving Applied Styles in the Styles and Formatting
dialog as it is.

/Niklas