Hi Chris,

Chris Lord wrote (25-02-13 16:04)
[...]
- Font colour is now red, bullets remain black.

Yes. Bullets/numbering has its own properties ;-)
You choose Format > Bullets/numbering in the menu, and find out that on the tab Customize you can select the color.
(Better is to do that in the slide master... View > Slide master ..)
(Also remarkable that you select the color there, not a character style as in Writer. Rfe for character styles in Impress does exist )

There are a few things to address here I think, though perhaps I'm just
being dense/tainted by using other software. I would expect the bullets
to be part of my selection, and to change colour accordingly.

As opponent of hard (direct formatting) I agree you have a point here :-) when one applies direct formatting any way, why not include the bullets.

I'd also expect it to be a bit easier to find where to change the
colour. Failing both of those, I'd expect the app to perhaps guide me
towards using styles if that's what it wants me to do, rather than (what
appears like) hiding what I'm looking for.
All this aside, I do actually use it whenever I quickly want to make a
presentation, so it isn't all bad ;) I hope this is constructive enough
to help.

Thanks for your input!
Cor

--