Hi Caolán,

Caolán McNamara wrote (13-09-11 12:30)
On Tue, 2011-09-13 at 08:26 +0200, Cor Nouws wrote:
Hope I have made my concerns a bit more clear now.

Not really, I'm probably in the same boat as Kohei and somewhat confused

Ah good to read. Real devs never are good in understanding my more abstract communications :-)

by the whole thread. Maybe we need *shorter* emails that don't try to be
polite ;-) Problem at the top, proposed solutions afterwards.

So:
I have seen no data that convinces me that there is enough time between feature freeze and release to ensure reasonable quality. And I have reasons to be cautious, because I know how hard it is to make time free for good testing and reporting + that we see so little LOMaster bugs being reported, which I consider a sign of lack of attention, rather than a sign of absence of bugs.

Thus the solution is: earlier feature freeze.

That is short .. however, maybe I overlook some data/facts, and have a wrong understanding of the situation. (Therefore my apparently to complicated attempt to get first a mutual understanding of the playing field etc.)

"I think 3-5 will be a crap release because there's too many changes
that I don't think we'll be able to test between now and release", is
that the summary ? or "I believe 3-4 was a crap release because of X, Y
and Z, I think we can avoid that by D".

Ah yes, short too. I choose the first. But that is neither my style, nor my belief - only my fear.

I never felt we got specifics on the "3-4 was bad". I'm not saying it

Devs experince this different from people in marketing and l10n groups, IMO.

(
So to try and avoid
getting caught by windows-specific bugs we are now making windows
dailies available. That should help on that front anyway.

which is great! )

--
 - Cor
 - http://nl.libreoffice.org