On Sun, Sep 18, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Jonathan
<winelauncher.jonat...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I need to call bug 40893 to the attention of somebody in a position to rule
> on it. It has been closed inappropriately by a non dev without a second
> opinion or review by a developer.

I've just reviewd it.
The bug has been close after discussion and substantiation. It sound
to me the the crux of the argument is summarized in comment #6
[
> Perhaps the problem is that LibreOffice doesn't distinguish between "all the
> cells" and "the whole table".

Yes, that exactly seems to be the point. I will think about that some days
(other reports, Mailing lists, did I see any similar requests, ...) and check
how an enhancement request could have prospect of success
]

> The bug has been reproduced and has documentation in the user interface, so
> triage should now be complete and it should now be ready for developer
> attention if it hadn't been closed as "notabug"

Because it is not a bug. it is a consistent UI behavior (as in
selection of bunch of cells versus selection of a 'table'. you can
describe a UI enhemcement in order to be able to select a 'whole
table' versus selecting a bunch of cells... but that is not a bug...
especially since the behavior has been documented is the associated
user guide.

> Only a developer is in a position to know if the inconsistent table handling
> behaviour documented in the bug report was intended to be like that, or is
> infact a bug.

Developers trust the QA team to triage.  You are welcome to disagree
with their conclusion and even to bring attention to your disagreement
to wider circle... but dismissing a reasoned 'not-bug' on the ground
that the person doing the closing is not a 'developer' is an Ad
Hominem fallacy and is unlikely to achieve your goal.

More constructive would be to develop a consensus based on the common
ground that was found in comment 6 and evolve this to a Request For
Enhancement.

Norbert