On 10/24/2011 05:59 PM, Terrence Enger wrote:
I shall proceed with that.  And, unless somebody tells me otherwise, I
shall indulge myself with OSL_ENSURE() on the return values.

Note that OSL_ENSURE, OSL_ASSERT, and OSL_FAIL should only be used for logic errors (i.e., the program detects that it contains an error and ends up in a state that "cannot happen"), not for uncommon situations that nevertheless should be handled, like IO errors or malformed user input. OSL_TRACE, on the other hand, is the tool of choice to document "interesting" events during program execution (which is only evaluated when built with DEBUG=TRUE, however). -- Even if lots of places in the code base misuse the former for the latter. Ideally, OSL_ENSURE et al. should directly abort program execution, but we're not there, yet.

Stephan