On 02/24/2017 01:37 AM, Lori Kaufman wrote:

> If you don't use inserted objects often, does decreasing the number of
> objects stored in the cache release memory that can be made available to the
> image cache? Or, does one not affect the other?

How much it affects performance literally depends upon how much RAM your
system has.

> Also, does disabling the Java runtime environment help speed up the
> performance

If you've got adequate RAM, then disabling the Java Runtime environment
doesn't improve performance.

If your system has an inadequate amount of RAM< then disabling the JRE
might improve performance, but with a loss of functionality.

> that don't use it, such as Writer or Calc?

Whilst Base is the only component that explicitly requires the JRE,
functionality in the other components might take a hit, due to the
reliance on extensions to provide specific functionality.

> If someone can provide an explanation of how the Memory settings affect
> performance, and under what circumstances, I would really appreciate it.

In general, the default settings at ">Tools >Options >Memory" are on the
low side. However, changing them, without an adequate amount of RAM,
will have a negative impact on performance.

IOW, the simplest way to increase performance is:
* Increase the amount of RAM in the system;
* If Calc is the primary usage, Install, and use a graphics card that
LibO is coded for;

* Only install dictionaries, grammar checkers, extensions, and templates
that are used every day;
* Uninstall dictionary, grammar checkers, extensions, and templates that
you do not use every day;

jonathon