> LO stores information about a selected JRE in the user profile at
> config/javasettings_*.xml.  Can you verify that just deleting that file from
> the bad old user profile would already be enough to solve the crash?

Yes, I can confirm that. I made some extensive testing.

This problem occurs if the user uninstalls or downgrades the Java
version (i.e. from 7 to 6)

This happens because under Windows the absolute path to Java is stored
in file javasettings_Windows_x86.xml located in
%AppData%\LOdev\3\user\config

E.g. <location>file:///C:/Program%20Files/Java/jre6</location>

If LO would delete the xml file when it fails to find JRE at the
specified location and started a new search (as it does currently on
every run if Java is enabled) then the problem would be solved: if no
Java is installed, LO would ask to install; if another version is
installed LO would find it ;)

HTH,
Pedro