SNIP.
  >  Would you recommend i revamp the menu to allow for now just open and
choosing of a file and opening it and displaying it on screen?
I don't think so. I think our viewer apps will be started
automatically by the system thanks to being associated with some MIME
types (or whatever the terminology is).

Do comparable Android apps really have "file choosers"? (I just have
the emulator, which is somewhat painful to use, and no 3rd-party apps.
But at least in the bare OS without any 3rd-party apps I couldn't,
quickly looking, find anything corresponding to a "file explorer"
even. Which is as expected, surely?)
I stand corrected, The office suite i know that is available for android, granted its a paid application, basically has files associated with the respective app to load them.

http://www.androidappsource.com/images/icons/-1874687392502665318_0_screenshot.png. Would this be the way we would want to take things?

As always, I am open to be convinced otherwise if you show me examples...

--tml