On 06/20/2012 10:22 PM, Caolán McNamara wrote:
I wonder if there would be any actual measurable performance benefit to
sticking in some hackery to keep the rtl_str_getLength symbol for
backwards compatibility but alias/define rtl_str_getLength to strlen in
order to get any benefit of those optimized strlens.

My gut assumption is that it wouldn't make too much of a difference in practice. (Do we have large amounts of calls to rtl_str_getLength to begin with?)

And it would shoot down the valgrind workaround.  ;)

> Or do they only
kick in if the compiler can determine locally that the argument comes
from malloc ? dunno.

The actual optimization is likely (only) to read in complete words rather than individual bytes, which can be applied independently of the provenance of the argument. (In fact, a compiler could even automatically optimize the implementation of rtl_str_getLength in that way.)

Stephan