On 03/22/2013 06:41 PM, Michael Stahl wrote:
On 22/03/13 18:25, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
On 03/21/2013 05:28 PM, Jan Holesovsky wrote:
* Kill include guards in .hxx, and use #pragma once instead
          + makes the headers nicer
          + the benchmark available on the net seems to suggest it speeds
            up MSVC
          + Lubos' test seems to suggest that there is ~no difference for
            gcc
        + consensus: let's just do it after 4.0.2 is out

The only drawback I can find is that #pragma once is non-standard and
therefore
<http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.7.2/cpp/Alternatives-to-Wrapper-_0023ifndef.html#Alternatives-to-Wrapper-_0023ifndef>---arguably
rightly so---recommends against its use.

hmm... does that really matter?

Hopefully not. But if the claimed MSVC speedup was non-existent, it would be humble to go with the (not completely inadequate, after all) standard means and avoid one potential pitfall. (/Every/ deviation from the standard, however minuscule, is bound to bite us one day down the road.) Or maybe not. Anyway, I should probably have inserted "very minor" before "drawback," or even kept away from the keyboard entirely... ;)

Stephan