Sorry for top-posting.

I think cc-by and GPL are ways to spread your  work (in  case of orignal work).

If printing or packaging can  enhance  it, the  factor to avoid in  publisher
contract  clauses is "exclusivity" : you allow her to publish with profit for
both (and  additionnally can  ask for publicity  on "Free as freedom" issues,
but you must ensure  nothing will prevent  you to publish elsewhere.

In  that way publisher becomes simply a non-transitive recipient  among others.

Note in case of  technical books, there is almost no profit on hard copies
whatever model  is choosen (private copy / library).