Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 14:50:49 +0300
From: "Maya Rushing Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Replacing a beloved Libretto 70CT

Thanks for all the helpful tips!  This is just terrific.

I have seen a few Librettos on the Dynamism site for $1600 plus.  Is this an
unusual offering?  Should I be trying to grab one of those, quick?  These
are the ones with the digital camera attached.  I suppose I could find a use
for that. <g>

Ed mentioned the ff1100v units available in Hong Kong.  Is this the latest
model?  I wish I could ask you to pick one up for me, Ed.  But I am now
wondering if the tech we spoke to had considered the CMOS battery and
possible hard drive failure.  He seemed awfully eager to blame the problem
on a motherboard short.  He was not an authorized repair guy, BTW.  The
authorized repair place is at a CompUSA store and I just get the willies
when I'm there, plus it's far away.

We are not computer experts, but we have done some basic hardware
installation with desktop computers.  If we're careful, do you think we can
try replacing the CMOS battery on our own?  If it's a cheap possibility, we
might try that.  As to the hard drive failure possibility...I guess we'd
have to take the Libretto in to a repair place, because we'd need to try to
recover the data on the disk.

I may end up trying eBay after all.  I'm glad you all warned me to check on
the people selling.  I wouldn't have known about that!

Wish I weren't just selfishly taking advice from y'all...wish I had
something to offer to this list, because you are just about saving my life!
Thanks, Maya