Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:05:05 +0900
From: Viboon Chaojirapant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re[2]: can't install CD in 70-CT

Hi Ken,

It is a shame that you have to sell away the L70
because the external CD-ROM drive can't work.
I can't get my CD-ROM to work in DOS too when
I just got my L70. In fact, because of that, I
can't install Win98 clean. However, there is an
alternative.

Anyway, in case you want one to give it one
last chance:

1. Get a DOS PC communication program. I used
   Norton Commander. I'm sure there are others
   out there that will enable you too connect
   2 PCs via a serial or parallel cable in DOS.
   Try http://www.bootdisk.com/.

2. Get a serial or parallel communication cable.
   Connect L70 and a desktop with it.

3. Boot L70 from floppy and maybe format the
   hard disk? I partitioned my 6GB disk into
   C and D drives.

4. Copy the DOS PC communication program into
   a desktop PC that is linked with your L70
   through the serial or parallel port.
   You also need a copy on your L70. I put it
   into D drive.

5. Activate the DOS PC communication program
   on both L70 and desktop. Make the desktop
   the master and L70 the slave. Make sure the
   2 PCs see each other.

6. Put your Win98 or whatever CD into the desktop's
   CD drive.

7. Copy all files from the Win98 CD into a
   directory in the L70's D drive. This may take
   a few hours, depending on the stability
   of the communication program. Norton Commander
   was pretty stable.

8. Restart your L70, boot from floppy again.

9. Go to the local copy of Win98 and run setup.exe.
   Install into C drive.

If you follow the above steps, you'll get a clean
copy of Win98 in L70. With Win98, you will then
have access to the CD-ROM, no problem at all
for me. From then on, you can install anything you
want through the CD drive, or anywhere.

It took me 2 weeks just to get Win98 into L70,
and it was an extremely frustrating experience.
I had tried various methods to make the PCMCIA
card CD-ROM work in DOS but fail. The Toshiba
website isn't helpful at all. Finally, I figured
the above mentioned method is worth a try and
indeed it was. In fact, it took me a day to
copy Win98SE into L70, and the next day I had
Win98SE running already.

Now I am happy with my L70 :).

Hope this helps.

--