Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:08:27 -0500
From: "Stefan Chock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: wireless pcmcia cards

     I myself just put together a ethernet/wireless network here at my house
connecting 2 desktops with ethernet and my libretto through a wireless
connection.  I didn't have a hub or router here to begin with so I had to
buy everything new.  I bought an SMC Barricade broadband router which is a
great solution to those wanting to get into wireless networking.  Its got a
10/100 autosensing switch, 3 ethernet ports, 1 WAN port for your cable
connection,  a printer port for pseudo print sharing, and a wireless
gateway.  It works as a DHCP server and setup was a snap.  I run my libretto
with an orinoco silver wifi pcmcia card.  Wireless specs say 11mbit
throughput but actual is about half that.  Still fast enough for me to
install microsoft office 2000 on my libretto over the wireless connection.
I ordered the router and wireless card after 5pm on a friday, recieved them
saturday morning.  Got them from outpost.com when they had the free
overnight shipping.  Total cost for me to go wireless: $450

just my 2 cents...