Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 20:11:30 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>How did you connect the two systems to ONE internet connection?
>Im trying to do this already for quite some time, and I didn't succeed.
I'm using WinRoute Lite 3.04 (its an old version, it'll be flying around on a software
archive somewhere or I can send you a copy, its completely freeware) to quite
considerable success. Its also significantly easier to set up than others I've seen
(eg. Wingate). Just remember, your network connection through your serial cable IS a
network interface (notice that network interface != network card).

Here's my current setup, all of my computers can access TCP/IP internet.
* Windows NT 4 server running Winroute 3.04g (it also worked when it was a 95 box),
56k modem on COM3, 1 ethernet card connected to a hub. Winroute is set up as default
configuration EXCEPT the RAS line corresponding to the modem (it'll be the RAS line
corresponding to your cable modem if thats what you're using) is set to 'Do not NAT
with this interface'.
* Windows 2000 workstation connected to the hub through 1 NIC, configured to look at
the NT server for default gateway. The Windows 2000 box is set up to accept direct
connections to the serial port with legacy (ie. win95) authentication and set up to
only allow NetBEUI and TCP/IP connections.
* Toshiba Libretto running Win95 connected via parallel port to the parallel port on
the Windows 2000 workstation, configured to be a Direct Cable Connection client,
TCP/IP and IPX/SPX installed. When it connects to the Windows 2000 workstation,
temporary DHCP on the Win2k workstation sets itself as the default gateway for the
Libretto. I know it sounds funny but YES this computer IS accessing the full Internet
(IRC/web browsing/telnet/ping/tracert) through the parallel port using only the
facilities already present in Windows 2000 Workstation and Windows 95. Of course, it
just occurs to me, you could probably get away with doing a similar thing if you're
short of network cards (although I'm guessing you've already purchased them, besides
which one of the computers has to be Win2k so I guess its a moot point anyway)

I've had similar success when setting up a friend's network consisting of only Win95
computers. In fact, he used to switch modems between computers when one or the other
wanted to use the net. I put a NIC in each, set up a default Winroute install (didn't
even change the 'do not NAT bit') on computer 1, told computer 2 that computer 1 was
the default gateway then dialled the modem. I didn't even need to set up DHCP or any
other programs, the install of mIRC on computer 2 even autodetected the internet
connection!

Of course, I don't have practical experience with cable modem connections
(unfortunately Telstra still have a stranglehold on broadband so its too expensive for
me here) so I'm going by theory ... perhaps if you (or someone else who knows about
cable modem connections) could tell us a bit more about how it differs from a normal
RAS line ...

*sigh* anyway there goes another one of my mini-essays! I wonder how many people
actually read all of this ...

- Raymond