Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 00:29:32 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 70CT working now! & Speaker issue

Neil,

I soldered a piece of fuse wire (got it out of glass fuse) across that 2A
fuse on the 70CT and got the LCD working again!  You're the man Neil!

I had a bit of a start for a few minutes though.  I turned the unit off, and
set it up on the extended port replacator I've been has the 50CT set up in,
booted it up, AND THE SCREEN STAYED BLACK!

I figured that something in the case top was blowing the fuse.  But taking
it apart, the wire I soldered was intact.  Well,,, I then thought that maybe
something in the case top had finally failed with this new jolt of
electricity from being fixed.  I forgot to mention that I discovered that
the rear left (as you face the screen) edge of the case top where the screw
hole for the standard replicator is... was smashed from something.  I was
thinking that this was probably started my problems... and have been
thinking that if I got the MB working... the LCD or something else in the
case top may eventually blow the fuse again of fail, as I think it was Pres
suggested.

So I pulled off the case top from the 50CT and put it on the 70CT, popped it
in the extended replicator and booted it up.  Gasp!  No screen!!  The logic
pervaded... I realized I had the external monitor plugged into the ER, and
forgot that I hadn't set the BIOS in the 70CT for simultaneous monitor
operation.

So all's well for the moment.  The 50CT LCD is on the 70CT without that
annoying dead pixel staring at me every time I do graphics editing.  The
70CT top end may still have problems in the future... but I'll put it on the
50CT and use it until something fails... or not.

On the deal with the little walkman speakers... it seems that everyone's
suggestion that I crank the Libretto volume down, and the speaker volume
knob UP has in fact improved the clipping problem I was having.

The other day a friend told me that if I was so depressed...I ought to play
myself a little good music.  So for the last few days I've been downloading
a lot of old 60s tracks with WinMX.  Pete Seeger, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Dylan,
Peter Paul and Mary... stuff addressed at those times that applies equally
well to today's situation.  Hours and hours of trying to get MusicMatch
(their tech support said it wouldn't even run on my 50CT :-P) multitask with
WinMX, IE, Notepad, Explorer, etc. finally gave me the incentive to fix the
70CT!

Thanks so very much for figuring out that fuse problem Neil.  This is such a
great list!

Matt