Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 20:34:02 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 70CT shuts down closing lid? More problems?

>From: "neil barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Follow the bios to 'Panel power on-off = disabled'. This kills the screen
>but doesn't stop the machine when the lid is closed. You might only get
>this if you're in hibernation mode.
>
>Neil

Neil and Raymond,

I thought was just having problems understanding, or remembering how the
system works.  But I just remembered something and have begun to suspect
that something else is going on.

My whole problem with the system powering down with closing the lid started
a couple nights ago.  When it happened I remembered that I'd recently had
the same problem with my sister's full size Toshiba notebook when I closed
the lid after we'd gotten a PowerPoint presentation set up, and the system
hooked to a projector.  That system just shut down IMMEDIATELY when I closed
the lid.  There was no writing RAM to HDD first it seemed... the HDD motor
pretty much whirred to a stop pretty quickly.  Then there was no recovery
from hibernation when it was powered it up... and we had to log in to her
Win2000 and set things up all over again.

I THOUGHT this was the problem I was having with this 70CT.  But I realized
something else that makes me think that perhaps the problem is more related
to the recently discovered smashed case corner... the dead LCD, and the
subsequent fuse fix.

I don't recall if I'd tried closing the 70CT lid with the system running
before the other night or not.  And like a dummy, I didn't try doing it a
few more times immediately.  Instead I found what I thought fixed the
problem in the 'power saver' by setting hibernation mode.  After I set that,
I closed the lid and the system stayed on.

But just last night, after setting the hibernation mode, I closed the lid to
save the monitor (I tend to flip the lid closed when I go away and leave the
system running with the reasoning that I'm saving the LCD life... the
thinking that started all this recently), and then just picked it up again
slowly to see how far up it would go before the lid switch kicked in the
monitor.

Instead of turning on the monitor, the system did a hard shut down!  This
with a bunch of programs running, MusicMatch idling, Word, IE, WinMX
downloading etc..  Running scandisk after rebooting found and fixed all
kinds of problems.

So it seems there's something else buggy about the system, maybe because of
that little dent in the back left corner by the replicator screw holes.
That's right about where that lid switch is located... but I can't think
what connection there may be there.

But now, after reading a bit more, and understanding more about the
hibernation mode, suspend mode, resume, and standby (these terms are still a
bit dizzying), and testing them more... I find that 99.99% of the time I
close the lid in the default 'boot mode' set in 'power saver' as it was set
originally, it does not shut the system down.  I've only had that problem
twice.  The first time was a day after I first got the fuse fixed and was
using the system in 'boot mode'.  And the second time last night with the
'hibernation mode' setting.

Oh... and another thing.  That 'Panel power on-off=disabled' BIOS setting
you mentioned Neil, IS IN FACT only there in BIOS with hibernation mode set
in 'power saver'.  For a while there I was certain I was suffering from ADD
if I couldn't have found that setting in the 3-4 times I went into BIOS
looking for such a setting.  A windows utility resetting BIOS...
interesting!

But now I wonder if there's some relationship to my problems and the
behavior of my sister's notebook.

Matt