Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:14:31 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIBRETTO] Solar Lib on Cycle Tour: Bill Cotten?

>From: "Daniel Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Solar Lib on Cycle Tour: Bill Cotten?
>
>I am planning to cycle from Scotland to Japan. I need to
>power a libretto 100CT and a satellite phone while on the
>road.

Scotland to JAPAN!!  You're one serious touring biker.  I used to work for
Jim Blackburn out in Campbell, CA ... the guy who first designed stable
pannier (sp) carriers  ... and occasionally a few folks like you would drop
in on their way to Canada from Tierra del Fuego or some such trip!  More
power to you.  I'm only able to truck-camper down to Mexico occasionally.

But someone must be selling something that would take advantage of all the
turning of the wheels.  I know bikers don't like the idea of drag... but
with the amount of power needed vs. the time you're going to be peddling,
I'd think the amount of drag to charge the libby one day, and the phone the
next, wouldn't be to bad.  You may need a substantial solar array to power
both each day.

Matt