Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 04:09:20 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [LIB] David's Hitachi 20GB HDD

>Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:31:03 -0800 (PST)
>From: David Chien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > Have you downloaded and tested the other 2 versions of EZ Drive > that
>have been posted?
>
>   Use mine at http://160.87.24.214/ezdrv909.zip

Great... Thanks David.

>   Tested and works fine for me.
>
>   Installs a small program into sector 0 of the master boot record on your
>HD. When the PC boots, it loads this in, overlays the old BIOS Int13 calls
>that don't work, and lets you correctly see the full HD size 8.4GB.

Okay... so the program will only be resident on the individual HDDs, and not
BIOS on the MB.  Great.

I think System Commander also puts it's program in the MBR too. But I think
you've already addresses this haven't you?  There should be no conflict
between EZ Drive and SC... right?

>   You can deinstall and install it over and over again on 8.4GB HDs with
>partitions below the 8.4GB boundary working just fine if they were created
>already before installation.  I've tried this and it works fine for me
>booting into Win98SE with or without it as a primary 4GB partition created
>on the HD before installing it.
>
>   All partitions created after it is installed above the 8.4GB boundary
>will be invisible when the software is removed from the HD.  They'll show
>up again if you put it back in.
>
>   Does not affect system BIOS at all.

Okay... interesting. Guess I'll install the disk manager on the new drive
first (I presume this can be done before partitioning and formatting).  Then
create an small initial partition for the OS, and another partition for the
remainder of the drive.  Install the OS.  Then do what you did David.  Open
Notepad, type a phrase (hmmm is it necessary to save the file?), then use a
hex editor to find the hibernation cylinders.  Do I put the system in
Standby first?  Or does the data get written to disk from RAM as I type in
Notepad?

It seems from what you wrote, by typing a few words into Notepad, RAM ends
up writing something that can be seen with the hex editor.  And that it
write to the cylinders I need to designate a new partition for that will be
reserved for hibernation.

I'm sure I must have something twisted there... but that seems the jist of
the process.

Aside from this, in the past I've found that there are a couple good reasons
to create a number of small partitions on these old systems.

First, and I think this goes for any system, smaller partitions mean smaller
... is it sectors (clusters?) ... meaning less wasted space, and more usable
space.

Second, it take AGES (in computer lifestyle time) to run Scandisk on these
big HDDs with the little CPUs in the Lib 50 and 70.  I had to disable
running scandisk at boot after crashes ages ago (you guys helped me do
this).  I found that Scandisk works faster in Windows, and faster on a
smaller partition.  By putting all my programs on the first partition with
the Windows OS, I find 99% of the time, crashes only cause errors on that
partition.  I put data, like MP3s, digital camera pictures and other
multimedia files on the other partitions.  Then if the system crashes with a
program accessing those, I'll run Scandisk on the other partitions at that
point.

Matt