Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 20:30:57 +0000
From: "Eugene Hsu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Amorphous LCD vs. LTPS Crystaline LCD vs. TFT

Hmmm.... sorry for this long message....

Does anyone know of a good LCD-industry access or LCD discussion board.  It
has been a while since I took physical electronics, and I can't fine enough
information to satiate my curiosity.

I was shopping around for a 17" LCD with TV inputs, and I came across the
two Samsung Models 170MP and 171MP.  There are a few feature differences
listed, but a question arose since the 170MP was listed as TFT-LCD and the
171MP was listed as A-Si LCD.  I need to ask, "Is this not the same
technolgy?  Does A-Si LCD = TFT-LCD, or not?"

I remember the old days when people spoke of Active matrix (transistor on
every pixel) vs Passive Matrix (transistors on edges, so dual-scan was added
at some time to improve response).  The Toshiba spec seems to indicate that
this LTPS technology is another way of having transistors in the LCD.
*ponder*

The brightness level and view angle are greater for the 171MP, but it seems
so too is the power requirement, which would indicate that perhaps the same
LCD components are the same (LCD's block light when aligned right?), but the
light producing elements draw greater current... or am I completely off
track?

Well the cost of the 171MP is greater (runs about $1300), so I am probably
going to pick up the 170MP (a local store has it for $700-800.00 vs the
$1000.00 I see on the internet).  Does anyone have one of these?

Since everything ends up going back to Toshiba, further reading found these:

TOSHIBA INTRODUCES WORLD'S SMALLEST LOW-TEMPERATURE POLY-SILICON TFT LCD
WITH XGA RESOLUTION
http://www.toshiba.com/taec/press/to-055.shtml

LCD Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.toshiba.com/taec/main/faq/lcd_faq.html

It seems that Toshiba in 1999 had the 1024x768 LTPS-TFT displays in a 6.3
inch format, and at the time it was claiming that the technology was better
than amorpheous silicon.  I do wish that my 70CT had greater resolution, so
I wonder whether we could replace our screens with the LTM06C310 or its
modern equivalent.  *further pondering*

Eugene