Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:11:19 -0500
From: "Pres Waterman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] CT 110 Floppy

> Care to expand on this for us newbies, Pres
>

> > I would like to know what happened to the Win98 protected mode floppy
> > drivers that eliminated the "compatibility mode"

Gladly.

>From the beginning, the Libretto was "designed" for Win95. Its floppy, while
plugging into the PCMCIA socket and looking exactly like a PCMCIA device, is
NOT PCMCIA! It is controlled directly by BIOS if and only if, plugged in
when booted.

Therefore, without any special drivers, DOS or Windows will see the floppy
as the a: drive. Because there are no 32-bit protected mode drivers, you
will see under "performance" in the system properties tab that "one or more
devices are using compatibility mode... this reduces overall performance" or
words to that effect.

But there's a much worse side effect: without special drivers ( called
fdcmon.vxd which is a floppy-disk-not-present indicator ) every time you
need to browse for a file, Windows looks for the floppy that you DIDN'T have
plugged in from boot, and waits... and waits... and waits to see it. Only
after the most part of a minute does it realize there IS no floppy and let
you browse into the he c: drive.

So, as part of the "accessories" package of programs ( or is it "utilities"-
I never can remember ) is the fdc monitor. It allows you to shove in the
floppy and have it recognized by PCMCIA, and also remove it gracefully, and
most important, not wait and wait for the floppy. But even having the
driver, Windows sees the floppy as "compatibility mode" meaning there are
older 16-bit drivers. Well, they work fine, it's just a psychological thing.

When Win98 first came out, they posted a "32-bit protected mode floppy
driver" which worked for Win98 and I believe Win95. But I stopped seeing it
on the Toshiba websites. It's just annoying that once there was a better
driver and I can't find it.

Not to mention that the "hairy light bulb" is a better program, more
flexible, that Win98's built-in power management, but I don't know the
purpose of the "Win98 Power Management Driver" which adds a .vxd and a
profile, but I am not sure if you should use both the hairy light bulb and
Win98 or just one.

Do any old timers remember the ORIGIN of the phrase "hairy lightbulb"?

Thanks

Pres Waterman W2PW
c/o Patchogue Motors, Inc.
Long Island Ford and Kia dealer