Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:51:29 +0000
From: "Fubar Libretto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Big HDD + Win'2k - BIOS, formatting, IDE adapter, etc  [LIB]

At long last, I'm doing the deed - just picked up a new 30GB Fujitsu
MHN2300AT in Kuala Lumpur to replace the OE 4.3GB HDD in my L110CT  :-)

My plan is:-
- duplicate data content of existing drive to Internet Cafe LAN drive
* update BIOS  <see Q2 below>
- remove existing HDD from Libretto
- install new HDD in Libretto
* boot from Win'98 recovery floppy  <see Q3 below>
* format "entire" bios-visible HDD (ie first 8.~GB)  <see Q3 below>
- remove new drive from Libretto
* install new drive in Internet Cafe PC  <see Q4 below>
- copy entire Win'2K CD to new HDD  <see Q5 below>
- re-install new HDD in Libretto
- run Win'2K installation from the new HDD
- move copy of data content of old drive from LAN to new HDD

Then, having retreated from the Internet cafe, delve into Win'2K to reserve
the hibernation space at 8.~GB (starting from where the original in Libretto
format left off - IIRC 71MB for Win'2K / 64MB RAM?) and then configure the
HDD space over 8.~GB. I'm anticipating I'll eventually divide the sub 8.~
space into 3, and the over-8.~ space in two.

It's a standard L110CT with 64MB memory, everything will be English
language, and I'm hoping I'll have no problems as a result of my current
dependance on mains power (my hi-cap battery is dead; the CMOS battery is
AOK).

Q1 - FAQ

Has anyone written up a step-by-step guide to doing the Big HDD + Win'2K
thing?

Q2 - BIOS etc

What's the latest on L110CT BIOS - I've been off-list for a while and I'm
not up to date.
Some time ago I downloaded (but have not installed) a copy of 7100tv81.exe
(Ver:8.10 - Size:611,773 bytes - Posted:08/06/01 - Released:07/31/01)

I have to update the BIOS first, right?
<> "You have to update the BIOS before install the Win2K so that
<> it will install as ACPI computer rather than standard computer".

And I'm right to take it that the BIOS is always backwards-compatible - ie I
can upgrade the BIOS and I'll still be able to boot from either drive
(4.3GB+Win'98 and 30GB+Win'2K respectively)?

What other stuff should I be downloading before I begin - does the Win'2K CD
suffice for the Libretto 110, or do I need to download Libretto-specific
Win'2K stuff from Toshiba?

Q3 - formatting

I have the OE Libretto FDD and a Win'98 'recovery' boot diskette with
COMMAND.COM, FDISK.EXE, etc on it - is that suitable for formatting the
first 8.~ GB of the new HDD?

It's got to be four or five years since I last did this - I vaguely recall
FORMAT C: /S (and FORMAT C: /U /S??? - but I can't remember what "U" does?)
- is that right?

And then FDISK? It's all a blur...  ;-)

I've no previous Win'2K experience, and the file system issues are something
of a grey area to me right now. Anything I need to watch out for, especially
in respect of wanting this to become a Win'2K boot drive?

Q4 - IDE adapter

I've bought an adapter to plug the new HDD into a desktop.
The drive has a long block of pins, plus four more pins offset at one end.
The adapter matches up to the pins on the long block; the other four pins
are for power, right?

I recall it being mentioned at some point in the past that care was needed
to make sure the laptop HDD - adapter - IDE cable connection is made
correctly (not inverted?); indeed, the adapter I have will fit the new drive
either way up - can someone jog my memory on the method for getting this
right? Everything on the adapter is numbered, but not the pins on the HDD
(plus of course I won't get to see the internals of the Internet Cafe
machine prior to the moment of truth).

Q5 - Win'2K

I've seen it suggested that only the contents of the i386 directory need
copying across?
I've made a note to ensure I've got "show all files" enabled...
And to launch the Win'2K installation, I just run winnt.exe...?

Win'2K service packs - as per the BIOS question, I appreciate this info will
be available elsewhere if I go search for it - but if anyone already has the
necessary at their fingertips and can tell me what the score is, I'd really
appreciate it - cheers!

TIA!

Sincerely...  Steve