Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 20:41:10 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] So who makes an 8.4mm drive?

At 02:05 AM 1/03/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 09:57:26 +0000
>From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [LIB] So who makes an 8.4mm drive?
>
>>Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 07:48:51 +0000
>>From: T i m <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I just had a quick look around some suppliers on the net and all the 2
>>1/2" drives seem to be 9.5.. at the thinnest?
>>
>>What should I look for (assuming we resolve the "Will a 9.5mm drive
>>damage a 50CT" or not Q)
>
>An awful lot of folks on the list have stuffed 20GB HDDs in their old Libbys
>recently, including me.  It'd be interesting to hear if anyone has had any problems.
>People have been doing this for a few years now too.  I'll be interested to read
>Pres's comments on his failures.

Certainly I can't see how you could cause damange in an L100 with a 9.5mm hard drive
given that the cavity (with the spacers removed) is AT LEAST 10mm (I can wobble my
9.5mm hard drive up and down in there, I'm considering putting some spacers back in so
I don't stress the connector at the other end). As for my L50, it was a nice fit ... I
could hold the hard drive at the opening and let go and it'll slide down under its own
weight until it hit that metal pressure contact (designed to give good metal to metal
contact for grounding the hard drive). Then all it needed was a gentle tap to hit the
hdd connector and a firm push to seat the connector.

The only problem I can think of is if you don't take the motherboard out to remove the
spacers ... if so its highly likely you'd miss the spacers right at the back ... if
you forget those (a blue one and a clear one) then you'll have problems. I took the
motherboard out and pulled the black plastic thing all off, cleaned it all out then
put the black plastic thing back in to make sure I'd removed all the spacers.

Hope this helps!

- Raymond

---

|                 | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?"                |
|   ___           | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| /  \ a y b o t  |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |
|                 |          HTTP://www.raybot.net            |
| ICQ: 31756092   |   Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet!  |