Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 20:25:29 +0000
From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Won't reeboot .. drive just clicks. Coldboots ok though?

>Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 08:44:01 +0000
>From: T i m <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>[T] No, *I* haven't opened the Libby in any way yet and as some have kindly
>noted, still has the std 810M drive in there (as far as I know).<
>
>The seller told me that the Libby was bought by his Co as a 'Demo' machine
>and had only seen around 50hrs of use. Apart from one pixel out it looks
>pretty perfect to me and no signs of ever being opened (screw damage, case
>damage around the join and the battery seems to have a pretty good life).<

A good installation of a new HDD will not show any evidence that anyone
opened up the case.  And you don't necessarily have to split the case open
in order to replace the HDD.  Two screws on the bottom on the end opposite
the PC Card will remove a tiny cap that gives you access to the HDD.  It
slides right out, and a 8.5mm slides right in.  Cap and screws can be
replaced in a flash, and you'll never see any evidence it was ever accessed.
  But if a 9.5mm HDD was ever forced in using this method, and later
removed, it could have caused physical or overheating damage to MB
components.

>The disk access fault only seemed (past tense) to appear when doing a 'warm
>boot' but has never appeared after a straight switch on or power cycle?<

Okay... if the boot problem disappeared after re-installing the OS, the MB
is probably fine.  Good.

>My bigger problem now is I can't run my Mapping prog Mapsource? It just
>comes up with a ..<
>
>MAPSOURCE caused an invalid page fault in
>module MAPSOURCE.EXE at 0137:0063200e.
>Registers:
>EAX=00000000 CS=0137 EIP=0063200e EFLGS=00010246
>EBX=7802a4bf SS=013f ESP=00aafc6c EBP=00000000
>ECX=00000009 DS=013f ESI=00000000 FS=0c77
>EDX=00aafc80 ES=013f EDI=00aafd3c GS=0000
>Bytes at CS:EIP:
>f3 a5 52 ff 15 f0 0a 76 00 83 c4 08 3b c5 75 22
>Stack dump:
>00aafc80 815920bc 007f37e0 00aafe38 00000000 e1bab8ab 00aafcfc 00000000
>00000000 00000000 0000001f 0000000b 00000059 00000021 00801713 00000000
>
>Means nothing to me!
>
>I completely removed OSR2, reinstalled and exactly the same result!?

Your description of your boot problem wasn't quite clear (concise ;-P) and
confused us a bit.  Sounded like you had a dead HDD there for a while.  But
it appears that warm boot problem went away after reinstalling W95, even if
you had the same problem with the MapSource software.  And are you accessing
MapSource via the CD, or are you copying it to the HDD?  Is this still a
PCMCIA problem?

>I'm in the process of sticking 98SE on the libby .. (longshot) ..

I assume you've downloaded the Toshiba W98 drivers for the 50CT for your W98
SE installation.  Although W98 runs a little slower than W95 on the 50CT, I
like the fact that it has far more drivers, and can detect and set up much
more hardware automatically.  I've also liked its system maintenance
utilities like MSCONIG that lets me easily turn of programs that insist on
being run at boot, as well as SFC (System File Checker) that can search and
replace corrupted system files, or let's you extract one that you've lost
from the W98 installation disk.

Matt