Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 21:30:07 +0100 (GMT/BST)
From: Digby Tarvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] SPAM ugh...

In my opinion the only safe way to read e-mail is with a mail client, not
a web browser.

Anytime I am in a situation where I am away from home and have to use
a Windows machine to read my mail, I *never* open a message from anyone
I do not know.

I currently use 'elm' though I know it is a bit antiquated, running
on BSD Unix. I still get tons of spam, but at least I know it can't
do any harm.

What I would like to do is find a way of rejecting all messages that
are in HTML, as 99.9% of the HTML e-mail I get is SPAM - and the remainder
should know better..

Currently about 30% of the messages I am receiving in my mailbox are SPAM,
and as the average size of this HTML rubbish is ten times the size of
legitimate mail messages, that is an infuriatingly low signal to noise
ratio -if my maths is not too rusty, that is about 80% of the data
received is rubbish :-/ ...

Also, there has been mention on another mailing list I subscribe to, of
a change of policy at yahoo.com such that they now sell e-mail addresses
to third parties (ie spammers). Anyone using yahoo might want to check
their current policy documents...

Does the 'news.admin.net-abuse.email' group have a mailing list feed?

Regards,
DigbyT

Lou S:
> Subject: Re: [LIB] SPAM ugh...

[snip]

--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.cthulhu.dircon.co.uk