Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 19:09:58 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] installing linux on the 50ct

At 07:18 PM 17/04/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 02:16:26 +0000
>From: "Matthew Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [LIB] installing linux on the 50ct
>
>>Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 07:47:48 +0800
>>From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>>Well my experience with this is that as much as possible, keep the
>>install process standard (which in most cases means boot off the CD and
>>execute a standard install, adding options if necessary then making
>>specific changes like X and PCMCIA once installation is complete) ...
>>thats the way that the installers would have tested the most and is least
>>likely to stuff up orhave unintended 'consequences'. Remember, there are
>>many, many ways of installing and not all of them will have been
>>rigorously tested. You can always copy the RPMs across after
>>installation, just before you put the hard drive back in the libby ...
>

>Hey Raymond,
>
>Would you have any experience in tracking down drivers to get the Mandrake
>7.1 installation disk to be seen on various CD-ROM drives?

I gave up on PCMCIA CD-ROM drives under DOS or Linux boot disks ages ago
when I jumped through hoops to get a DOS PCMCIA disk thingy working on a
Portege 3110 for work ... I stick to IDE drives (be it internal or by
putting the hard drive into a desktop). Having said that, by the looks of
things, its actually easier to get parallel CD-ROM drives working under
Linux or DOS boot disks than it is getting PCMCIA ones working ... go figure.

>   I'm wondering if maybe I can install Mandrake right onto the L50 from a
> CD-ROM drive, I might have better luck at getting a clean installation
> than trying to clean up problems from installing on the desktop, and then
> plugging it into the L50.

Well Mandrake is just a 'refined' version of Redhat ... Kudzu does an
admirable job of reconfiguring and I've never had a problem with moving
Linux installs from computer to computer or from desktop to laptop ... or
rather I've never had a problem that I wouldn't have encountered if I
installed Linux straight onto the target computer.

- Raymond

---

|                 | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?"                |
|   ___           | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| /  \ a y b o t  |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |
|                 |          HTTP://www.raybot.net            |
| ICQ: 31756092   |   Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet!  |