Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 05:53:53 +0000
From: "neil barnes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] cpu cache

>Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 20:53:20 -0500
>From: "John Musielewicz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: cpu cache
>
>Hi
>
>What is the differance between the write through and write back settings in
>the bios? I changed mine from write back to write through and now my 70 is
>really moving!!!

Write-back forces a simultaneous write to memory with every write to cache,
so there's a ram access delay at every write. Write-through writes to the
cache but only writes to real memory if the space in the cache is required
for something else, or the system shuts down, or it's told to. So it's
usually quicker. (actually, that feels the wrong way round, but it's early
in the morning)

I wrote a long screed on what all the bios switches do which should be in
the archive somewhere and may be helpful.