Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 08:46:15 EDT
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [LIB] killmbr=killmb?

In a message dated 5/13/02 2:18:50 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> > The Libretto 100CT Recovery/Backup boot diskette which comes with the Lib
> has
>  > a file in the BIN subdirectory labeled killmb.com.  After copying this
> floppy
>  > to a directory on my desktop HDD for safekeeping, then running NAV,
Norton
>  > reports this file as the virus KillMBR.g and suggests quarantine or
> deletion.
>  >  Norton then blocked my attempt at copying this file from the floppy to
> the
>  > HDD, again identifying it as the killmbr.g virus.
>  >
>  > I am assuming this is a mistake of NAV; can anyone confirm from their
copy
> of
>  > the Lib boot diskette that a file called A:\BIN\killmb.com exists?
There
> is
>  > also a file called killhd in the same directory - anyone know what these
> do,
>  > if they're not virii?  Thanks.
>  >

>  Not a mistake.
>  The MBR is a vital part of your system. All anti-virus search for programs
>  that could make a damage in the MBR.
>  The name of this one is quite explicit !

Yes, NAV is clearly keying on this file's name/function and it's similarity
to the killmbr.g virus, and reporting it as a virus.  And I agree,
identifying master boot record-altering programs is/should be a function of
anti-virus software.  But, is this particular file part of the Lib boot
disk's utilities, or is it in fact the killmbg.g virus (or a component
thereof?)  Does anyone have this original Libretto Backup/Recovery boot
floppy to check for me?  Thanks.

Lee