Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2002 17:02:11 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Windows 2000, Lib 110, >8GB drive, and a fresh
  install?

At 09:45 AM 31/07/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:40:49 -0400
>From: "Christopher Kalos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: Re[2]: [LIB] Windows 2000, Lib 110, >8GB drive, and a fresh
>install?
>
>I made sure to use the Libby's drive as the primary master, and the only
>other drive connected to the desktop at that time was a CD-ROM for reading
>the data.

Does that computer recognise the disk beyond 1024 cylinders? I've had
complications where I do some partitioning in the libby and some in a
desktop, in my case I ended up with what looked like 2 'versions' of the
partition table where some partitions were accessible in both cases but
both slowly got corrupted. I ended up putting EZ-Bios onto the drive and
making sure whenever I did anything to do with the partitions I'd boot off
that drive (if I was just copying files to it I found I could get away with
booting to the desktop's own Win2k install and writing to the disk as long
as I didn't touch the partition table).

>Finally, I just bit the bullet and ran the install from the hard drive.  4
>hours later, I had mismapped drives, so it's back to square one, but at
>least there's a plan.

What do you mean by mismapped drives? If you're referring to boot.ini, just
boot using a boot floppy (format a floppy disk in Win2k (which
automatically does the NT equivalent of sys'ing it) then copy the boot
files across) with a correct boot.ini (bypassing the equivalent on the hard
drive).

>However, and this is fairly odd, when I boot up using the only available
>boot floppy (The Toshiba Companion Diskette!) I can see all the partitions
>of the 12 GB drive perfectly.

Careful ... I've had a few cases (I can't remember how but it seemed pretty
inconsistent) where it looked like I could see everything from my libby
WITHOUT any overlay but then I found that if I tried to manipulate the
partitions I ended up getting weird results (such as having partitions
reporting larger than the drive itself!).

>   I'm in Win98's DOS at this point, but fdisk
>seems to see them all, each partition is actually accesible, and I can read
>and write from anywhere on the disk.

Hmm ... perhaps the Toshiba companion diskette has something we don't know
about? What happens when you boot off a plain vanilla Win98 boot disk?

>Seeing as OnTrack was wiped from the drive and I'm bypassing it anyway with
>this method, what exactly does this mean for BIOS version 8.00?

*shrug* I've not used OnTrack ... I know I'll provoke another flamewar by
saying this but I still recommend that even though Win2k can see past 1024
cylinders unaided that you use something like EZ-Bios (look in the archives
for a link) ... you never know when you may need to get into your
partitions with a boot disk. I also recommend NOT using NTFS unless you
REALLY need it for security for the same reason ... especially given that
getting into the recovery console on the libby is likely to be a complete
pain in the rear (and then especially if the MBR is dead).

Regarding your initial 'INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE' ERROR, I got that when I
tried installing WinNT onto my L50, I didn't try any further because I
managed to get Win95 stable anyway ... if you do manage to get this thing
working I might try putting 2k on my L100 as well ... hehe

- Raymond

---

|                 | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?"                |
|   ___           | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| /  \ a y b o t  |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]             |
|                 |  Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet!   |
| ICQ: 31756092   | Libretto IRC channel #Libretto on DALNet! |