Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:36:54 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] 70ct, dead battery

Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 19:49:58 +0800
From: "yahoo-address" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 70ct, dead battery

Hi everyone.

I am guess I have a dead battery but thought I would check with you all.

I have a Libretto 70ct, with a PA2452 battery in it.

When the unit is turned off (with the power cable plugged in) the
battery light is orange.  It stays orange no matter how long I leave it.

Now if I turn it on and boot to DOS the light changes to green.   Which
makes me think it is charged but when I pull out the power cord the 70ct
just switches off.  (is it the battery?)
Do you have a voltmeter? I'd double check to make *really* sure it's the battery and not the charging circuit in the laptop. If you're good with electronics, the first thing I'd do is take the motherboard out and plug the battery pack in, plug the power in then use a voltmeter to check that the 10 or so volts across the battery jumps to 11-odd volts across the charging battery terminals (I don't know if the charging circuit actually tries to detect the battery before it applies the charging current). If you don't get this then either the board in the battery is dead (in which case replacing the cells won't do any good) or the charging circuit in the libby is dead (in which case very little you do on the battery side will help!). The manual is pretty alright in telling you how to disassemble it but make real sure you remember which screw went where!

If I am right and it is the battery I am going to try and open it in the
next few days and maybe replace the batteries.  I have been reading some
of the other threads on this.
I am still trying to work out the best way to open it, but the consensus
seems to be to use a long flat thing tool to pry it open, I hope?  (let
me know if I am wrong)
I just used a flat screwdriver but be careful not to poke it too far in. The circuit board inside is the thickness of medium weight cardboard and you could easily destroy it by being too vigorous with the screwdriver around that side of the pack. For the same reason, try not to twist the pack *too* much.

Then of course, I will go shopping to see what sort of re-chargeable
batteries I can find.   Still not sure what is available (currently in
Singapore)
Actually, your *best* source of batteries might well be surplus battery packs for other Toshiba laptops around that era ... any battery pack for a Portege should have suitable cells in it and may be had cheaply if you catch a warehouse clearing out odd stock (I got a Portege pack with 6 Sony 1.8AH cells for about $7USD in a warehouse clearout, which were just nice to replace those in a dead L100 extended pack).

The biggest problem is that there are so many emails from people
regarding batteries.   It is hard to find the correct ones.   Does
anyone have a web page that describes opening this type of battery?
Or does anyone have a web page that describes the best replacement
batteries to use?
Hehe ... that's always a problem on this list (not helped by the lack of threading) ... try adding 'panasonic' to the search term, I think they produced one of the cells which were found to be suitable (but that probably doesn't narrow things down if it was quoted too often). I'm not aware of a cell replacement page specifically for the Libretto packs ...

- Raymond

---

| | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?" |
| ___ | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" |
| / \ a y b o t | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| | Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet! |
| ICQ: 31756092 | Libretto IRC channel #Libretto on DALNet! |