Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 17:32:01 -0400
From: "Eugene Hsu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re:[LIB] Off Topic: GPS, Libretto, ...

GPS
I bave the 70CT, for original GPS consideration I bought the Delorme Earthmate with their mapping software. While I was able to do the entire installation of that for non-CD use, the Earthmate GPS seemed to be flakey in terms of power usage. I had purchased the Targus car power adapter for the libretto, so plenty of power was getting to that, but the lack of a power switch on the Earthmate really made me wonder. I was continuously switching batteries on the Earthmate GPS, and I was not sure if it was reading a closed circuit on the serial port (mini replicator) when the Libretto was not on. Please correct me if this is not correct.

THe current GPS choice is the GARMIN ETREX VISTA plus Mapsource CDs. That has served me very well since it can be used without lugging the libretto around.

As a note, thanks guys for the instructions in Japan. I ended up spending some time in Akihabara enjoying the sites. Strangely, I was unable to find the librettos there while i saw tons of alternate machines. The newest trend seems to be superclear mini-widescreen mini-laptops with no antiglare coating. These high-res (12xx x 7xx) screens look great showing video, and seem easy to work with.

The U101 is a great little machine, but I could not get used to the oouse control, seeming less intuitive than the librettos. The price was 160,000 yen, so it was much less than the $2000.00 from dynamism. The Sharp Mebius was insanely thin, and the vertical dock was amazing. At 144800 yen, my credit card was calling out for it very loudly. The most amazing thing that I saw was a mockup for an IBM 701C mockup. It was a return to the 701 butterfly keyboard, but it was in a sub note. I wish that I could have spoken Japanese because I was not able to get any details about it. (I did take two pics of the mock). In the end I decided that the 70ct still suits my needs (internet and photo storage), so I can wait a bit longer.

For 39800 yen, the 5 GB gigabeat was really too big and overpriced now that the iPODs are 300 bucks for 10GB.

I don't have a hosting provider now, but I can email pics individualy if anyone wants.

Eugene