Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 04:42:38 -0700
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Re: Web browsers : current recommendations

> I would like to add Firebird to that list - 0.7 has just been
> released: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

Keep us posted as to how well Firebird runs (for that matter, I'd like to hear
from anyone else who's used Firebird on the L100) ... I've used Mozilla on my
L100 with 64 meg of RAM and Win2k (although I was mainly using it as an IMAP
email client ... speaking of which does anyone know of a nice, light and free
IMAP client for Windows that supports SSL?) but it's just too sluggish, I'm
guessing mainly because of the way the graphical interface is implemented ... IE
often beats it to load up webpages on my L100 ...

> Also, for very fast browsing under Linux, there are text-only browsers
> like elinks or w3m. For getting quick information, they just cannot be
> beaten in speed. They might run under Win was well (using Cygwin),
> but I haven't tried that yet.

`Lynx' (the single frame text based web browser) has a version that runs
natively under Win9x/NT/2k ... I *think* `Links' (a text based web browser that
supports frames) also has a native Win9x/NT/2k version but I've not gone and
checked myself ...

- Raymond