Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:09:42 -0800
From: PhotoEngineering <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] USB

At 06:59 PM 11/11/2003, you wrote:
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:53:06 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 17:32:25 -0800
From: PhotoEngineering <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:16:54 +0800
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:59:45 -0800
From: PhotoEngineering <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB

I was looking at the board specs of the Libretto 100/110CT and according to Toshiba the USB controller is acuallly in the I/O GA. So a USB jack be simply wired into the CPU board it seems.

I had a look at this a while back when I was bringing the PS/2 port lines out from the motherboard PS/2 controller (details of which are available at www.raybot.net in case anyone was remotely interested!), yes the USB controller is on the motherboard but the USB driver chip (and, from my limited experience with USB driver chips, at least some of the smarts for current control, etc.) sit in the EPR ... I was going to try doing this once I got a few spare moments to read up on the chips involved but if you're more familiar with the way USB driver circuits work I'll leave it to you! :-)

Yes the port would need a driver chip but I believe that is all it would need. I haven't seen chips for just one port usually a minimum of two but that would be a miner hookup if a person wasn't afraid of soldering:-). The important thing is the controller is already there which means a lot in that the job is almost completely done. It could be tied right to the docking port where the pinout is known.

Sure, I'm guessing the task isn't all that hard if you know what you're doing with those chips ... of course the second problem is how you get the Libretto to turn on the USB controller (given it'll only turn it on if it thinks it's connected to the EPR) ... methinks there's a good chance some BIOS hacking might be necessary there ...

It depends. The Libretto probably checks a line from the dp which changes. Its probably listed in the pinout.

A somewhat easier mod I was also thinking of doing was bringing out the RS-232 port (the raw signals are there, all it needs is the RS-232 line driver and a few capacitors, both of which I actually understand :-) ) ...

As for a modem on the audio chip, are you sure that audio chip has an inbuilt modem and you're not looking a modem line input (which is probably already routed to a line on the PCMCIA port for connection to a PCMCIA modem)? The data sheet I have for that chip mentions its multipurpose I/O line can be configured as a modem interface (or a 16-bit address decode, EEPROM interface, ZV port interface, CPU/DAC interface or IDE CD-ROM interface) and has 3 signals (chip select, interrupt and analog input) but I don't think it actually has a hardware modem onboard.

Which data sheet are you looking at? The 110CT I have has a YMF715F-S in and I did find the data sheet for the S chip on the web. It looked like the modem would have to be programmed and I don't know what all Toshiba used but it did look like once the modem had been programmed you would just need to hook up the Rx and Tx lines directly to two I/O lines.

I'm looking at the YMF715E, I've not been able to find the YMF715F datasheet unfortunately (got a link to it somewhere? I'd love to have a look!) ... I'll be real curious to know how you'd get from that chip to a modem though, there must be a reason why there doesn't seem to have been any manufacturer using the YMF715 as a modem controller (or maybe there is and I've yet to run into one?) ...

It might not work too well. I think this is one of the earliest.

I like using APR to rip since it makes a new file every time a new song starts, which other recorders don't do (at least I haven't found one yet). Means you don't have to sit there starting and stopping the damn recorder every time a new song starts:).

How does it detect when a song starts and ends coming out of an analog input? Or were you referring to ripping from other sources (CD, etc.)? I might have a look at that ... I've generally been using Winamp with the LAME plugin to do my MP3 conversions from wave or to crosscode MP3s so they take up less space on my PDA (it also separates out files and gives them meaningful names if it can) ... I think it also does rips from CD with CD-DB support for the filenames but I've never tried it (and it might need a plugin) ...

It detects the pause inbetween songs. It does work pretty well although any noise in the line will cause it to miss and it also misses when there are no pauses, such as a live recording where the artist never stops playing. It uses Lame to convert the MP3 too.

- Raymond

---

/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\ | | "Does fuzzy logic tickle?" | | ___ | "My HDD has no reverse. How do I backup?" | | /__/ +-------------------------------------------| | / \ a y b o t | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | | | Need help? Visit #Windows98 on DALNet! | | ICQ: 31756092 | Libretto IRC channel #Libretto on DALNet! | \~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/