Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 15:52:04 -0800 (PST)
From: David Chien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Toshiba Dynabook SS SX - 2lbs/1kg , 12.1", 1Ghz P-M notebook out

http://www3.toshiba.co.jp/pc/catalog/ss_c/031201sx/index_j.htm

Think what would Toshiba do to counter the Sony 505 Extreme (that super thin
9.5mm+, 825gram, carbon fibre shell baby - but stripped of so many parts, no
point! no ethernet, no modem, no wifi!)?  What can Toshiba make today that's
the same weight as the original Librettos?

Voila!

The Dynabook SS SX series with a 12.1" display, 1Ghz P-M processor,
SD/CF/PCMCIA slots, 3USB ports, Wi-Fi, etc. in a 1kg shell with 5.4 hour
battery life.

Sadly, they didn't make it the size of the Libretto, so while it's a very nice
replacement weight-wise, it's far larger size-wise. =(

I've been looking at mini-notebook replacements for the L110, and short of the
larger JVC Interlink XP 73xx series (which is annoyingly ~150mm vs. 132mm in
depth - a touch too much for my fingers to grab with one hand like I can the
L110; and battery life is far too short at 1.5 hours), and the hate the
chicklet keyboard Sony U-series, there really isn't anything out there that can
replace the L100/L110/ff1100 series with a much faster processor in the same
size. =(

Thinking again, this is basically what the Sony 505 series would have been if
they released the originals this year - 2lbs instead of 3lbs, 12" screen
instead of 10", etc. - a thin, sheet-of-paper sized lightweight notebook.

---

Maybe this suggests that since upgrading every other laptop model in their
line, they'll turn to the lowly Libretto (the bottom rung of their laptop
models in Japan) now?

I certainly hope they don't keep getting bigger and bigger (every Libretto
since the first) - that was never the point of the name 'Libretto - meaning
book', and I don't like to buy big mini-notebooks.

They certainly have all the technology now to fit a 40GB HD + mini-disc sized
main motherboard (505 Extreme M.B.) + all the ports into the L100/110 form factor.

=====
adorable toshiba libretto
The latest news and information for the Toshiba Libretto owner.
http://www.silverace.com/libretto/