Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:30:35 +0200
From: Philip Nienhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Toshiba Laptop Selection

Raymond wrote:

> Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 15:41:08 +0800
> From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [LIB] Toshiba Laptop Selection
>
> I purchased a Portege 7220CTe off eBay myself for $550AUD shipped (around
> $300USD direct conversion), PIII650, 13" 1024x768 screen, 20GB HDD, 128 meg
> of RAM, just on an inch thick. It's been serving me real well (yes OK,
> blasphemy to a Libretto purist but nice as my 100CT was, the screen
> realestate, or lack thereof, was starting to really get to me ...).
>
> The nice thing about it is that it's darn tough. It's one of few notebooks
> of its era I know of that you could hold horizontally by grasping onto one
> corner of the screen, when opened out flat, without flexing noticeably. The
> top does show scratches quite badly though. It also doesn't have the
> hibernation issue (it sees my 20 gig hard drive straight away). Bear in
> mind though that AFAIK, it doesn't do a BIOS hibernation, it relies on the
> hibernation provided by the operating system (so on the one hand it is file
> system aware so you don't clobber bits of disk, on the other hand, other
> operating systems like Linux would have a fun time trying to hibernate -
> suspend still works though).

Mandrake Linux, since v. 9.2, does feature hibernation (or
suspend-to-disk, or whatever it's called), independent from the BIOS.
For other distros, it can be compiled into the kernel.
Just do something like:
sudo /usr/sbin/pmsuspend2
(or was it /usr/bin/pmsuspend2)
and watch the show..... (although neither hibernation nor a restore may
be that fast, sometimes rebooting is faster.)

And one warning may be in order here:
- never ever write to a Windows partition from e.g., Linux while Windows
is in a hibernated state. It may really blow up your Windows - it simply
doesn't expect any disk changes.

Philip