Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:15:04 -0600
From: Tory Braybrook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] Re: Libretto usage?

> Have you tried installing a newer Red Hat or Fedora
> using the slinky installer
> (http://www.rule-project.org/)?  Haven't tried it
> myself yet but supposedly the newer distros may RUN on
> older hardware, they just won't INSTALL.  (I currently
> have Red Hat 7.3 on my 64MB Lib110 dual-booting with
> Win98SE;  soon I will be trying triple-boot with
> Win2k/Win98SE/newer Linux.)

I suspect new librettos like the 110ct are much easier for distro
installation. I'm running Mandrake 9.2 on my 110, and it was laughably easy
to install, since I have a floppy drive, USB cdrom drive, and the 110 docking
station. Mandrake (at least for 9.2 - haven't checked 10 yet) has a single
floppy image for a USB based installation. The system boots off the floppy,
recognizes the USB cdrom, and the installation proceeded perfectly normally
from there. (I even made it all the way through using the graphical
installer)

Runs beautifully, and I even found a patch so my console runs at the full
800x480 resolution (137x25? Don't remember exactly how many characters that
is.) Beautiful stuff. :)

I really love the 110ct (Win2k/Mandrake 9.2) for portable development.
I use my 50m (Win98J) for language studies (Using the touchscreen with the
KingKanji program)

I'll be picking up a Sharp Zaurus SLC-860 when I'm in Japan in October. It
will be very interesting to see how well the 110ct (64mb/233mhz pentium,
800x480screen) compares to the Linux-running Zaurus (64mb/400mhz
xscale/640x480 screen, full keyboard)

Tory