Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:22:29 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [LIB] AVG Free Issues

In a message dated 1/24/2005 1:34:00 PM Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> .....question: what has WAN to do with AVG-Free?

That would be a question for AVG - I have no idea (see below)

> > preventing it would appear.  I would Shut Down the L100 at that point.  On
> the
> > next boot-up, hibernation would work.  Then, after resuming and attempting
> > hibernate, the error message appears and prevents hibernation.......Even
> after
> > de-activating - but not uninstalling - AVG, the error appeared.  I've
> finally
> > uninstalled it.  FWIW, this also occurs on my daughter's Portege 7010CT.
> >
> > Any advice is welcome!
>
> Well, my (IE-stripped) Win2K hibernates fine running AVG-Free (7.0 I
> think) & wifi LAN. (The other -full- Win2K on the Lib runs McAfee.)
>
> I suppose your problem has little to do with AVG-Free.
> Win2K hibernation can be hampered by hardware drivers which do not
> properly shut down the HW before and reinitialize it after hibernation.
> The NT driver for the L10/L110 Neomagic video is a fine example.
> In your case, I'd suggest there's something wrong with your network
> drivers or network connections ("WAN"). The fact that uninstalling AVG
> does not help is a clear indication of this.
>
> Philip

You've misunderstood my (granted, abbreviated) explanation.  Uninstalling AVG
does, in fact, solve the WAN driver interference with W2K hibernation
problem.  And as I said, the same behavior occurs with a Portege 7010CT: prior
AVG-Free installation, problem-free W2K hibernation; afterwards, WAN driver
interference.  BTW, there is mention of this problem on the AVG site, with the
recommendation to buy the commercial version, where the problem is "solved."
Guess it may be time to pony up for AV software.

Lee