Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:42:13 -0800 (PST)
From: Matt Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: L110 lost Yamaha audio in W2000

After disabling and then re-enabling a number of drivers in W2000's Device
Manager to see if I could find what was causing W2K's slow shut down,
there's now a problem with Yamaha audio drivers.  I have no audio anymore.

Tests to play audio in Windows Media Player, Winamp, and playing audio
files for components in Control Panel's Sound and Multimedia Properties all
get a similar error message.  They all report that the sound card is, or
may be in use by another application.  That right from a fresh boot to the
W2K desktop.

I've gone my usual route of deleting or renaming files Device Manager
reports being used by the Yamaha sound card, uninstalling the driver, and
then re-installing it.  I really only renamed 2 files of the many:

x:\WINNT\system32\drivers\ks.sy
x:\WINNT\system32\drivers\opl3sax.sy_

I rebooted expecting to see a "New Hardware Found" window, but W2K just
went ahead and replaced the missing files without any notice at all.

I also went the "Update Driver" method in the Properties of the Yamaha
OPL3-SAx WDM Driver in Device Manager.  Everything went well, no complaints
(at least the 1st time) that the existing drivers were the recommended
ones.  But still I get these error windows:

* Windows Media Player: Cannot play back the audio stream:
    no audio hardware is available, or the hardware is not
    responding.

* Winamp: Error code 4: Windows error message: "The specified
    device is already in use. Wait until it is free, and
    try again"

* Control Panel's Sound and Multimedia Properties: Windows
    cannot play the sound xxx.wav.  Your sound card may be
    in use.

Another problem is that there's no icon for Yamaha Audio in the system
tray, and it doesn't show up in any of the output device plugin
configurations in Winamp.  And Usually if it's loaded in Device Manager, it
appears in Winamp's output device plugin setup.

Launching the volume control from the Start > Accessories > Entertainment
menu results in this error message:

* "There are no active mixer devices available.  You may install devices
from the Add/Remove Hardware Wizard in Control Panel"

The only other clue I can see is a driver that pops up for a few seconds in
Device Manger while disabling or enabling the Yamaha driver.  When changing
those settings, DM's tree closes, then reopens to display the changed
setting.  But it opens for 6-7 seconds, and shows this audio driver before
closing again, and opening again >without< it:

* Microsoft WinMM WDM Audio Compatible Driver

While it's being displayed, it has the icon with the red X through it that
indicates the driver is disabled.  And it pops up like then when both
>disabling< and >enabling< the Yamaha driver.

'Tis a yet another computer puzzlement in the endless stream...

Any suggestions gladly welcomed as always.

Matt